South End Infill and Small Developments

Yeah, I believe so. There is an old thread for it back a few pages: http://www.archboston.org/community/showthread.php?t=3965

Not sure if it is worth dropping the link in there? No sense getting people excited and having them see it is just about a community meeting from last summer.

After looking into this further - the buildings are of different height and different architects, so probably not the same(but changed) buildings.

Using the city's assessing page the old curved building at the corner of Albany & Northampton has an address of 801 - 805 Albany St.

It is such a nice thing to see, when they can take old former factory buildings & give them a new lease on life by giving them a major facelift, rehabbing them into nice looking affordable housing!! :cool:

OMG. The Concord Baptist ... WOW. Was this planned? I thought they were trying to do it from the inside. God bless this developer - how will he ever make a dime.

PS. The BRA updated me on 600 Harrison, earlier today.

"600 Harrison Ave is sorting out issues related to their PDA. We estimate the earliest they would break ground is this summer."

PS. The BRA updated me on 600 Harrison, earlier today.

"600 Harrison Ave is sorting out issues related to their PDA. We estimate the earliest they would break ground is this summer."

They already have their occupancy permits for the roadway and have been paying for the meters on Malden St since the 20th. They may not have their "official groundbreaking" soon, but they will definitely be starting construction in the next few weeks.

Traffic is detoured off malden st at this point so it's definitely fully underway

Boston church taps land to ease finances
Cathedral plan to lease lot may be parish model

The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Boston is experimenting with commercial development in an effort to leverage underused church real estate to pay for its ministries.

In a first-of-its-kind deal for the church in Boston, the Cathedral of the Holy Cross in the South End has signed a 99-year lease with a developer on a parking lot the cathedral owns at Harrison and Malden streets. The developer is transforming the parcel into a sleek 160-unit rental apartment building with ground floor retail space.

The lease will produce steady income for the cathedral for the duration of the agreement, the parties say, though it is unclear how much because the details are confidential. The cathedral will also essentially keep its parking lot; 70 spaces in the new building’s underground garage will be assigned to the church.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...l?hootPostID=2c2d12d9a6288cb1c2cc5c8eabc47689

The article mentions the "former Holy Trinity (German) Church on Shawmut Avenue."

This is on Shawmut and Berkeley (east side) and is being redeveloped entirely, I believe. It sits behind where the GreyBar development is supposed to occur. Anyone have any information about this development site?

Latest on Alexandria Hotel:
Update on Alexandra – Bud Larievy related his discussions with Mark LaCasse, the Alexandra owner’s attorney. LaCasse took everyone’s input and persuaded the owners that it was time for them to sell. LaCasse said the process for the sale will entail a two week window in which prospective buyers can walk through the building, then make a presentation to the owners, and then offer how much they are willing to pay for it. The owners will narrow all of the initial offers down to a top 5. LaCasse said there is a specific timeframe, but did not disclose what it is. LaCasse stated that the interests of Scientologists, the current owners, is a historic restoration of the building. Examples of prospective buyer include a gentleman from Iceland who will be here in February who is interested in opening a Boutique Hotel. LaCasse said he already had 50 prospective buyers.
What should CSANA do, now that we know the owner’s are intent on selling? Bud Larievy suggested that CSANA take a proactive approach to the process, and try to partner with the new buyer. Carol Blair suggested that CSANA develop a wish list to present to the new buyer. Members suggested a café, inclusion of the neighborhood, elderly housing, support services, a staff person to clean the street twice a week.

https://csana.wordpress.com/

The Scientology were merely better than nothing but I'm glad they are gone. One advantage is that the three retail bays can be real retail The Scientologist were planning a church cafe and church book store.

Regarding the Holy Trinity, the public record shows it was sold in December to David Goldman, co-developer of other sites in the South End including The Modern. I haven't heard of any community meetings being scheduled but it seems highly likely the church and the rectory behind it will be converted to housing. I don't see much opposition given its location.

Any developer would be better than him, New Boston Ventures. I'm not happy he's developing 110 Broad St either.

It will be nice infill, however. Any chance the church façade/architecture is saved in the process? This would make 3 current church-to-residential conversions (u/c) in the South End!

It might be four churches

Concord St Baptist church
The church at Tremont and Worcester St
and possibly the Church of the Immaculate Conception

If something is happening to Union United, I have some friends that I really need to let know about it.

Do you have more info?

Back