South End Infill and Small Developments

Ha. One of my friends is the one who ratted out the owner for tearing down the original building. That's not going to go over well, tearing down a building w/out notice.

031815churchsc07.jpg

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines..._developer_seeks_to_convert_church_to_housing

As the Herald article indicates, there was a big fight over preserving the interior.

boston_immaculate_hook_lg.jpg

New developer. Exterior facade to be mostly retained, interior likely gone.

http://www.bostonherald.com/busines...end_church_set_to_be_converted_into_63_condos

They would be insane to not preserve that colonnade

Fantastic.

Not sure where this one is ending up, I think as nine apartments for rent? I can't imagine there's any way the developer is ever going to make a dollar on this. It took forever and seemed to be more-difficult than the Panama Canal.

Whoa. 95 Berkeley sold today for $43 million. This is at the corner of Chandler and Berkeley streets, where the non-profits are located (across Chandler from Trophy Room).

At one point, the owner had considered selling to a developer, and at one point JJ Foley's had considered moving into the street-level space. Howie Carr had a fit about it. (I'll track down the column.)

Whoa. 95 Berkeley sold today for $43 million. This is at the corner of Chandler and Berkeley streets, where the non-profits are located (across Chandler from Trophy Room).

At one point, the owner had considered selling to a developer, and at one point JJ Foley's had considered moving into the street-level space. Howie Carr had a fit about it. (I'll track down the column.)

I live catty corner to this building. There's a lot of talk with it being renovated from offices into condos. Mostly speculation now. Apparently work supposed to begin in over a year when leases run out.

The Google Street View for this building made me chuckle :)
https://www.google.com/maps/place/9...6656!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0xc3c7b79ef1c3076c!6m1!1e1

^Kinda looks like WWII had its way with the building. Really striking and even haunting photographs- thank you for sharing.

thanks for the photos, suffolk and beeline.

can a mod start a unique Lucas thread? "south end construction" is a way too big catch-all

From my Facebook feed on the South End Community Board,
it looks like we will get confirmation of the buyer for the Flower Exchange on Thursday.

THE BRA SEEKS A CHANGE TO THE ZONING CLASSIFICATION OF THE 5.6 ACRE FLOWER EXCHANGE PARCEL FROM LIGHT INDUSTRIAL TO COMMERCIAL, RESIDENTIAL, AND PARKING:
In response to this change, which can be done by vote of the BRA Board because this parcel--and the entire South End--is still an Urban Renewal zone, the Boston City Council Committee on Planning and Development, will hold a public hearing this THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2016 at 11 AM in the Council chambers. Members of the public are invited to attend and testify.

For giggles, I cut out the parcel size and superimposed it in various locations in Kendall Sq.

It's actually a much larger parcel than I thought.

E1czqA8.png

qTwzY3W.png

ycJh7NY.png

G9De7Dq.png

THe 2nd and 4th show that the parcel is equivalent in size to either the parking lots that MIT is looking to redevelop, or the superblock that includes the Broad Institute up to Akamai.

The 3rd shot shows that it's not quite as big as the Volpe center complex.

This area is not an ideal area transportation wise (minus highway access). The SL is two blocks north at Washington and I suppose the Red Line at Broadway is walkable, but it feels a bit out of the way for a large office complex.

Regardless, this is going to be a dense development! What does the zoning outline for height and density here?

Back