South End Infill and Small Developments

5-10K is a ton of new people in this area. Is this "campus" including the existing BU/BMC and other life & bio-science employers in the area?

This is just down the street (<1/4 mile south) of all of the development going on, in and around the former Herald site, and is adjacent to the NEIDL, BU/BMC and "Methadone Mile." Outside of buses, this area is a transportation dead-zone. It will certainly be lively (we might need a 2nd Pita) but unfortunately the area relies heavily on the automobile. There are three large garages in the immediate vicinity, in addition to all of the parking now included under Rt. 93 along Albany St.; and I'm guessing this development will include plenty of parking of its own.

That is a big parcel, but 10,000 people would be a TON. It would need to be 10+ stories with a lot of parking. I don't think that is possible.

Thanx Beeline, as always.

On 659 Mass Ave, I had to go to Google Maps to see what was there before. Clearly, the facade was preserved to grandfather lot occupancy.

Cranes from Woburn

Edit: Looking closely it appears 2 out of 3 cranes might be for those mega labs by the Cambridge Galleria. I think the 3rd one still fits this thread.

IMG_1207 by David Z, on Flickr

Plans filed with the BDPA to renovate an exsisting church at 771 Harrison Ave into 63 rental units.

c8eb2002-9c10-42dd-9995-ec41137e37ba

Currently it's a very beautiful building

657b60.png

The Rembrandt, the restoration part turned out great, the new upper floors on the side and rear are more interesting -- with the faux roof shingling -- than the front. The front looks architecturally lazy, when potentially there were many elements to play with.

Thanks again Beeline for your photos, and especially for taking shots of all sides.

I think that's pretty well stated stellar and mostly agree although I wouldnt really complain about the front out loud. I'm glad and sort of surprised they kept the building and the sign and its a nice little project that added density. Perpetual is the real estate company that did the project is that correct? Is this going to be their offices?

Original home of Boston College. It's unfortunate that it's being turned into condos, but the original BC High building next door was turned into condos a decade ago, not surprised the church is the final piece to go.

http://bcm.bc.edu/issues/summer_2016/features/foundational.html

Will the nimby will come out of their holes to protect this beautiful Jesuit building (or Protestant church, or synagogue be proposed for condo/desecration elsewhere)? Do the nimby hate Jesus? i'm asking because we have to save that useless bridge between the warehouses at Ft. Point, or that (1960) Rudolph garbage in Winthrop Sq. The future of humanity is at stake.

If not from a pure architectural point of view, reciting from the obstrutionist playbook could well do some good here – if not at least, to bring the matter to a lengthy discussion. i suppose if this were any other type of old building with a similar gorgeous facade/brickwork all around, the nimby would be out in force (and right to do so)...... i hope i'm all wrong here. Just seems like, if it's a Jesuit or Jesus-related structure, it seems the intractable nimby disappear. The Globe is also nowhere to be found.

We're doing a lot of density.... You know, i'm not a Catholic, and i probably don't even qualify as a protestant.... But, these have been cherished places of worship for many score of years. They are valid historical structures.

It just seems like cheap, value engineering of neighborhood spaces that border on sacred, and connect us to the past... It just seems a hell of a lot more thinking needs to happen about these – and we should make damn sure they can't become something good and useful again.... instead of just f_cking apartments.

We can bulldoze true, provable garbage to accomplish provide affordable (and less-affordable) living space. Nothing even close to these buildings will ever get built again. i understand this one was in very bad shape. Is this the case elsewhere? Cutting them to pieces and doing apartments - seems something close to a last resort. I'd like to see just as many of them be converted into places for kids and (whomever), when people get stuck inside for 3 months. The buildings remain to show us something inportant about the past.

Last edited:

Back