South End Infill and Small Developments

Castle Square etc. don't help either. But the highway-esque treatment of Berkeley is enabled by the uninterrupted garden along one edge. If there were cars parking for residences or shops there, in and out, or trucks loading, or pedestrians wandering out to cross, it'd be a less intimidating stretch.

This is how we built in mid-1800's.

From the Olde Dutch Candy Shoppe destruction.

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

*sigh*

I realize it costly, slow and horribly inefficient but part of me wishes we could still build like that.

^^^ Wow! That's harsh. I hope they do the one shown at the site.

Yes, the site poster version looks less steroidal!

Unless this lot is triangular it looks like someone set the "field of view" setting in sketchup way too high. Its great to get a soaring art-deco poster kind of rendering, but doesn't work in context with other buildings from a standard photograph next to it.

For the actual structure, I like it a lot. My only complaint is the materials palate could have been more refined. Having four main elements on such a small and plain building looks too busy. The washed out hues on the poster also blend the building in better with the neighborhood - the building is already offset with massing, you don't need to set it apart with materials too.

The ground floor of both renderings lack any imagination.

Regarding Zero Marlborough (Hite TV and Radio), six of the nine units in the building have been listed for sale.

A third-floor one-bedroom with ~521-square feet of space is listed for $435,000 ($835 per square foot).

A "townhouse-style duplex" with ~1,532-square feet of space, three beds and two and a half baths is listed for $1,295,000 ($845 per square foot).

Parking is being sold separately.

Two of the six are showing "accepted offers".

They are planning for closings to start September 1, 2013.

Regarding Zero Marlborough (Hite TV and Radio)...

I believe you mean Zero Worcester Square. I worked on Zero Marlborough, slightly less gritty than Worcester Square. Reasonably nice looking project though, and hard to believe you can get a new construction 1 bed in the South End for under 1/2 Million.

The latest in what's turning out to be a series of thoughtful residential projects. They respect the context but have their own contemporary personality. Good for the South End.

Yes, thank you, Zero Worcester.

Regarding The Chevron, did I mention somewhere else already that the iron workers union is picketing it for not using union labor (or something like that).

Regarding The Chevron, did I mention somewhere else already that the iron workers union is picketing it for not using union labor (or something like that).

Times must be good for the iron workers, if a little 6 unit building like this is all they can find to picket, while we're at a 5+ year high for new buildings in Boston.

Well this fits right in.

The elevator shaft of The Chevron.

Boston-20130129-00333.jpg

(Obviously, it will be hidden once the building is up, but it was quite a shock to see this when turning the corner earlier tonight.)

Someone sue the developer so this can sit there for a few years. I love it.

When I drove by last weekend I noticed that the elevator shaft seems to be all the way at the back of the building (as opposed to in the center). I wonder if we'll end up with a blank wall facing the community gardens.
Am I right John? Is the shaft at the edge of the building?

I don't think so. In the above photo, the communities gardens are off camera to the left. Looking at the renderings earlier in the thread, there seem to be windows on that side.

Back