South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

So I nosed around South Station today and discovered that the tower may be a bit further along than we realize. Granted, I’m looking through small slits in the hoarding, the forms of a core are clearly being constructed up to ground level. Also, a crane base has clearly been installed in the past few days.
6D4F2429-109D-4AF4-BBBF-F0892AD44485.jpeg
17F94465-66B6-4E5E-84D9-AB2647F82215.jpeg
9F406A1A-8518-4F65-8538-708BF6B6F5AE.jpeg

Good timing now that Winthrop Tower is winding down and SST will soon go vertical ... another fun one to watch. After SST, I don't think there's much in the pipeline other than a couple of mid-rises.
Yeah - 34 story (398') 252 Huntington; Bulfinch 28 floor midrise; 22 floor Kneeland Street hotel; 22 floor CarGurus building (core is already up); Flower Exchange buildings; and lastly the newly approved 38 story Kendall Square residential.

Potentials/proposals for future skyscrapers still include Harbor Garage Tower (good luck), Hurley redevelopment, flatiron parcel across from One Congress, and the Lord and Taylor site?

Yeah - 34 story (398') 252 Huntington; Bulfinch 28 floor midrise; 22 floor Kneeland Street hotel; 22 floor CarGurus building (core is already up); Flower Exchange buildings; and lastly the newly approved 38 story Kendall Square residential.

Potentials/proposals for future skyscrapers still include Harbor Garage Tower (good luck), Hurley redevelopment, flatiron parcel across from One Congress, and the Lord and Taylor site?
Is the Hurley redevelopment proposed?

After SST (or with SST) the action moves to Cambridge for 135 Broadway and Volpe.

A minor update: S&F just posted the following on their Facebook page:

" We have begun work on the massive cap beams at the South Station project. The 2 tower cranes have yet to be installed. However, our team has managed to kick off at an impressive pace. There is much to do. But a great start for sure!"

Also, the tower project's email update from April 22 stated:

• In the next few weeks, the existing platform canopies will be removed during the overnight shifts.
  • Over the coming months, crews will be working at night in the railyard to begin fireproofing installation. This work may modify the paths of travel at the ends of the tracks during the overnight hours.
  • A second crane, located between the station and the Post Office (adjacent to Track 13), is erecting the east side of the expanded bus terminal. Due to this work, Track 13 is out of service for the next few months. This crane will be demobilized in the coming weeks, and a smaller crane will take its place to complete the steel erection over Track 13 this fall.
  • In the Tower Work Zone, work has commenced on the concrete foundation for the tower. This concrete cap beam is expected to take 6 to 8 weeks to complete.

A minor update: S&F just posted the following on their Facebook page:

" We have begun work on the massive cap beams at the South Station project. The 2 tower cranes have yet to be installed. However, our team has managed to kick off at an impressive pace. There is much to do. But a great start for sure!"

Also, the tower project's email update from April 22 stated:

• In the next few weeks, the existing platform canopies will be removed during the overnight shifts.
  • Over the coming months, crews will be working at night in the railyard to begin fireproofing installation. This work may modify the paths of travel at the ends of the tracks during the overnight hours.
  • A second crane, located between the station and the Post Office (adjacent to Track 13), is erecting the east side of the expanded bus terminal. Due to this work, Track 13 is out of service for the next few months. This crane will be demobilized in the coming weeks, and a smaller crane will take its place to complete the steel erection over Track 13 this fall.
  • In the Tower Work Zone, work has commenced on the concrete foundation for the tower. This concrete cap beam is expected to take 6 to 8 weeks to complete.
Some great images on the S&F Facebook post:

I've got to admit my excitement for this one (which hadn't been particularly high) is growing considerably. I really didn't care for the 'tabasco bottle' design, but as I've seen more renders and have a better sense of how this will be oriented / its context in the skyline, I've come to realize it will only look like a tabasco bottle from very specific (and narrow) vantage points, and, otherwise has some elegance and decent proportioning to it. Can't wait to see it rise.

I went searching for new renders, and....

1651248685420.png

1651248692425.png

Nah, found the real version.

1651248736134.png

1651248742616.png

I didn't think that it would be that short!! I think the pic at the top was propped to make it look real short!!
:)

Last edited:
I think that they should put a skyroom restaurant up at, or near the top of the tower, since we lost the one that was at the Pru!! And an obs deck, since we'll only have it in the Pru. How many floors will it have? :)

Last edited:
That's a sure sign that the tower is about to start sprouting from the ground!! :)

Back