South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Hot tip: this is going to be quite a sight to see rise from the Independence Wharf observation deck:

IMG_20230122_144134890.jpg

Wouldn’t be surprised if Fidelity decides at one point as they watch this go up from next door, “you know, we could use a nice sexy new HQ…”

Wouldn’t be surprised if Fidelity decides at one point as they watch this go up from next door, “you know, we could use a nice sexy new HQ…”
They are already in progress with that. Commonwealth Pier.

This is really upsetting, and I hope someone at the city can put pressure on this to change.
Already fixed

This is the tower “going vertical,” no?! 🎉🥳

Yes, it is. I wondered the same thing. I rode Acela on Tuesday and asked a foreman if the core is going to keep rising. Although an absolutely moronic question, he knew what I meant. He said, 'that's the plan...clear sailing 🤞'

So, I actually don’t know what this is referring to.

JP Morgan took control of of the New York New Haven railroad sometime around 1903 and thus acquired ownership of the brand-new South Station. A key tactic in his overall railroad war strategy vs. the Boston & Maine (then controlling North Station) was to never allow for a conduit track to be built connecting the two stations. Thus, the most notorious Gilded Age tycoon (other than perhaps Vanderbilt or Carnegie) is directly responsible for the lack of a North-South Rail Link.

In NYC, they just opened the GCT-Jamaica LIRR station connection. Now you can get from the LIRR to MetroNorth RR without going into Penn, then taking the A and then S trains (about 20 minutes) to GCT. People are going nuts over it. It takes 4.5 minutes to get from the street level to the platform 17 stories underground.

However, it also took 20 years and billions of dollars to complete. So I guess pick your poison. Sorry for the further "derailment".

Back