South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

From the Fed

E083E519-0956-4B9C-96E4-2A58870D9294.jpeg
49E31A5E-3C54-47F7-87DA-A6D1753CD698.jpeg

I agree, but it feels like it always kind of had to happen, eventually. It's just crazy that eventually is now now.

The really insane thing will be if and when the Post Office moves away from Fort Point.

Yeah - lots of opportunity there! I’ve always wondered about Fidelity on the corner. Props to them for keeping their home office humble, but that can’t last much longer, right?

The main crane is expanding upwards as of this afternoon; core is closing in on the turntable of the smaller crane (northeast of the core).

The beautiful structural engineering on this is basically proving that Copley tower would have been (still could be) possible.

maybe, Copley tower was designed over 6 or 8 lanes of I-90 as well as 2 commuter rail lines. Yes, south station is an active and large rail station, building over an existing decked over highway is different. (I’m my opinion)

maybe, Copley tower was designed over 6 or 8 lanes of I-90 as well as 2 commuter rail lines. Yes, south station is an active and large rail station, building over an existing decked over highway is different. (I’m my opinion)

Yes of course it is different. And if one takes this analysis as an exercise in precision comparison, you may be correct. My point was one of admiration of how minimal the structural connection to the earth is with this SS tower compared to a blank canvas tower: here the core is basically on fat stilts, and, the core itself flares outward at some height above the ground (as shown in photos above). There is minimal connection with terra firma, and a large area of what will be underneath the tower has been needed to be kept open to the public.

If Copley even has a sliver of terra firma to work with on one/both side of the pike or other (which I believe they do), then it's in the ballpark of what they are faced with here. I may have hyperbolized a bit above, but really I am just saying "let this be an inspiration"

In NYC, they just opened the GCT-Jamaica LIRR station connection. Now you can get from the LIRR to MetroNorth RR without going into Penn, then taking the A and then S trains (about 20 minutes) to GCT. People are going nuts over it. It takes 4.5 minutes to get from the street level to the platform 17 stories underground.

However, it also took 20 years and billions of dollars to complete. So I guess pick your poison. Sorry for the further "derailment".

The GCT-LIRR connection is 17 stories underground??? Damn thats deep! Pretty sweet to connect those two.

What they really need and I'm kinda surprised they don't already have it is a subway to Laguardia...and a subway shuttle direct from Laguardia to JFK (this could even have 2 stops at Queens Blvd and Jamaica Center and still technically run as an express). A shuttle from LGA to JFK could make a potentially 2 hour drive on the BQE-LIE-Van Wyck down to like 25 mins.

The GCT-LIRR connection is 17 stories underground??? Damn thats deep! Pretty sweet to connect those two.

What they really need and I'm kinda surprised they don't already have it is a subway to Laguardia...and a subway shuttle direct from Laguardia to JFK (this could even have 2 stops at Queens Blvd and Jamaica Center and still technically run as an express). A shuttle from LGA to JFK could make a potentially 2 hour drive on the BQE-LIE-Van Wyck down to like 25 mins.
I've understood like literally none of the words that came out of your mouth...

Not knowing what the hell LGA to JFK BQE-LIE-Van Wyck means is a good thing in life... trust me on that one.
I'm half-kidding as I've flown out of JFK before and hope never to do so again, as getting through the city out to Long Island is indeed as terrible as everyone makes it out to be. I had no idea of the name of the various roads to get out there, probably because I blocked the experience from my memory.

Back