South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I like the post office shot across the canal!

BB352F84-56C2-4F0A-B7D8-5FC7BCC0FE3E.jpeg
9D50D122-10D8-4A5F-8CF4-38DD4C3C9707.jpeg
CDFE0379-458F-4F16-9D41-73F4374F2A83.jpeg
1A0C4086-DE71-4B61-96DF-36D2F41C0A36.jpeg
236819C4-5917-4FA4-8AF1-CA4839A38211.jpeg

Renders appear to show an unobstructed view of of the arches from the Summer Street side. Consensus on aB (that I've seen, anyway) seems to be that the Atlantic Avenue side either will have obstructed views of the arches or none at all.
Screenshot 2023-03-02 at 1.27.25 PM.png

Renders appear to show an unobstructed view of of the arches from the Summer Street side. Consensus on aB (that I've seen, anyway) seems to be that the Atlantic Avenue side either will have obstructed views of the arches or none at all.

Graffito is doing some of the retail leasing for Hines, and has a few good renders posted on their site:

Here's what they show from the Atlantic Ave side (imaged linked to/courtesy of site above):
DBOX_HINES_BSS_03_Office_Entrance_Final_update-2048x1365.jpg

^Actually, browsing that leasing brochure, in general, helps give a good sense of the overall project layout. You can see how the tall tower's lower floors connect to the rest of the development, which appears to impact the Atlantic side entryway.

So the new steel / façade will obscure the arch from the street view? I don't' recall the rendering on how this will look.

I asked the same a few pages back and the response was that those beams across the face of the arches appeared to some to be temporary. Hoping that as the full floor plates go up they’ll brace against the station and elsewhere, allowing for a vaulted entry off Summer St

Are they just going to build the occupiable space as a stack of steel donuts hung / cantilevered from that central concrete core?

Are they just going to build the occupiable space as a stack of steel donuts hung / cantilevered from that central concrete core?

I don't think it's quite that simple. Some of the outer steel columns we're seeing seem way too beefy to be temporary bracing. See some of the close-ups here: http://archboston.com/community/thr...h-station-air-rights-downtown.976/post-448901 & in Dr. Rosen's post.

My guess is that you're correct that some semi-circular-esque regions of the floorplates will essentially be be cantelivered off the core, but it seems like there will be several other tall vertical primary columns running to the ground as well.

For what it's worth, if you look closely at the video of the construction sequence you can see around the structural arches first then around the 1:00 mark you see final shape/finishes applied.

Reference this reply with construction sequence video embedded. There are vertical members flanking the main arches under the core.

Is the bus station going to be, in the new building, essentially where it is today?

Back