South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

lurker where is that first image from?

interesting finds. does this mean there are remnants of the shed and building somewhere?

Here's a shot of the original waiting room

interior.jpg

south-station.net

You can still see a lot of that in the ticket booth.
Both the floor tile and ceiling work are still intact

Last edited:

Although South Station is not as famous as Grand Central Station, all my New York friends compliment on how much South Station resembles it in size, quality, and presence. These historic photos prove how true that is.

Going back to Pelhamhall's phased illustration on page 31, does anyone know if that diagram is to scale (assuming that is the final rendering which it seems to be)? If that is to scale, that tower is easily 700 ft tall (at least).

i think its 690 abouts. if you look through the earlier part of the thread it gives you the info. emporis.com does too.

SouthStationPhases123.jpg

Looks like the bus depot gets boxed in. I know that currently it's at capacity, and new bus operators have been denied berths. Are there no plans for expansion? ARe they going to build around it, restricting the size forever?

This project expands the bus depot -- I think by adding another level upwards.

It's from a larger drawing that's online and might be in Seashole's? book "Gaining Ground" as well

What I find comforting in that picture is that the streetwalls on Boylston and Huntington were never ruined so much as never properly created in the first place. It's good that's slowly being remedied.

SouthStationPhases123.jpg

Looks like the bus depot gets boxed in. I know that currently it's at capacity, and new bus operators have been denied berths. Are there no plans for expansion? ARe they going to build around it, restricting the size forever?

One reason, perhaps, for not having the hotel/residences on the southern end is the MBTA diesels. If you ever look at the skin of the bus terminal above the tracks it has become soot-black, and as the MBTA lets the diesels idle all the time they are at the platform, the noise is going to be unpleasant. Given the configuration, I suspect it is going to be a longer walk for commuters unless Hines installs some really big air handlers to exhaust the engine fumes.

An argument, albeit a very expensive alternative, for electrifying the south side commuter rail.

The ariel shows a huge gash between Back Bay and the South End, so it seems that more development has been filled in there then taken over by the Mass Pike. The only real damage to the urbanity is Storrow Drive and of course huge damage by the Central Artery.

What I find comforting in that picture is that the streetwalls on Boylston and Huntington were never ruined so much as never properly created in the first place. It's good that's slowly being remedied.
justin the streetwall maven.

(I agree with you, justin.)

The ariel shows a huge gash between Back Bay and the South End

Well yeah, there was a huge railroad yard where the Prudential Center is now.

However, I'd take issue with the statement that Huntington Avenue didn't have a streetwall. Before the Christian Science Center expansion, Midtown Hotel,and Colonnade, there was quite a solid line of buildings on both sides, from at least West Newton Street down to Symphony Hall.

The ones I posted on the last page were of St. Pancras Station, London (top) and Lehrter Hauptbahnhof, Berlin (bottom two).

Actually they have dropped Lehrter from the name and it is now just Berlin Hauptbahnhof.

My friend in Berlin works for Hill & Knowlton (PR Firm) and was on the team that worked on Deutsche Bahn's publicity campaign regarding the opening of the new station, he gave me a bunch of literature on it. I'll post it here if I ever get around to scanning it.

I was there in 2004 while it was still under construction (open to S-Bahn passengers only -the N-S roof hadn't been completed yet, but the roof over most of the Berlin Statdbahn had) and again in 2006, when I arrived at the completed station (to meet my friend). It is quite impressive.

I hope whatever happens to South Station, they add an interior connection from the bus terminal to the main station/subway. A down elevator from the bus terminal to the street would be nice, too. Arriving here by Chinatown bus feels so welcoming...until you face that steep, long stairway and the chilly walk outside.

There is a down elevator from the bus station. Rather than turn left to the stairs and up escalator, go straight back to the elevator.

Or maybe you meant down escalator, because that is indeed lacking :rolleyes:

An indoor connection between bus and train terminals is supposed to be part of this plan.

Oops, escalator indeed.

Back