South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

Does the developer have an obligation to the T to begin construction within a certain time or lose the air rights?

5) water service from Fort Point Channel

What kind of clearance is there for boats on the channel? Are we talking something like the boats on Amsterdam's canals? Because I can't see any of what the MBTA currently owns getting past all the bridges.

Ron - I don't believe there are any agreements/timelines with the transit authorities because Tufts has had these development rights since the late 1980s. It doesn't seem to me like there is any impetus to get this moving.

I hope it does get done - and soon. Hines is a great company that really gets development done the right way.

I have no involvement with this project at all, but I am a big cheerleader for it! We need more development over rail beds/highways.

AdamBc,

I think that you can put quite a wide and low boat with shallow draft quite a ways down the Fort Point Channel and then connect with the Piers in Southy, Easty and the Northend as well

Why if you design the boat right {to fit through th eold locks at the MOS -- it could go up the Charles as well -- all the way upto Watertown

And if we are dreaming -- the boat could go up the Muddy River through the Fens and pick-up visitors at the newly expanded Foster?s Glass-box equipped Iconic MFA

Sorry got carried away by dreams of summer ......

Westy

250,000 sq ft of speculatve new office space is currently under construction at 2 Financial Center. This square footage needs to be added to analysis. For south station or winthrop sq to get built in this current real estate market, a major new employer (500 plus jobs) would need to enter downtown market. This is unlikely.

AdamBc,

I think that you can put quite a wide and low boat with shallow draft quite a ways down the Fort Point Channel and then connect with the Piers in Southy, Easty and the Northend as well

Is there a market for ferry service to South Station? I live in Eastie and it would be great for me, but the number of potential users is probably too low to justify frequent service, which would in turn reduce the already low number of users.

Meredith and Grew puts our a free market review for Boston several times a year. Given that some of these projects won't be finished until 2012 or later, there probably is (will be) tenant demand for all of them unless there is a major, long term shift in business. Boston seems to be doing well in spite of the merger mania of a few years ago, so I feel optimistic about the major projects proposed to date.

http://www.m-g.com/marketviewpoint.html

Ran across this old proposal here. It's pretty small and I don't have a date, but has anyone seen this one before?

southstation1.jpg

Ran across this old proposal here. It's pretty small and I don't have a date, but has anyone seen this one before?

southstation1.jpg

this was proposed in 1984 the developer was the mbta and the bra

More to get our hopes up...

Tufts set to begin construction on tower above South Station this year

Dan Pasternack
The Tufts Daily
Issue date: 2/27/08 Section: News

If things go according to plan, a skyscraper looming above Boston's South Station will be under construction by the end of the year. And Tufts will build it.

The project started nearly 20 years ago, when then-University President Jean Mayer called for the creation of a skyscraper dedicated to medical research on top of South Station.

Tufts created a construction subsidiary in the 1980s, Tufts University Development Corporation, LLC (TUDC), to oversee the project. TUDC has spent its time since securing permits and construction rights.

While plans for the skyscraper at 650 Atlantic Avenue have been scaled back from their original form, arrangements now call for the construction of a 49-story office tower, a 13-story hotel and an additional nine-story office building. The structures will be built behind South Station, on top of what is now railroad tracks leading to the bus terminal.

The project also calls for several transit-related improvements to South Station and the bus terminal. For instance, the capacity of the bus terminal will be expanded by roughly 40 percent.

The neighborhood surrounding South Station is the home of Tufts' Boston campus, which includes the School of Dental Medicine, the School of Medicine, the Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy and the Sackler School of Biomedical Sciences.

While Tufts has played a large role in the development of the project, it is expected that the university will not occupy the building. Rather, it will sell the building after completion.

TUDC has a partner in the project, Hines Interests LP. According to David Perry, senior vice president of Hines and manager of the South Station project, TUDC has been given the right by the Boston Redevelopment Authority (BRA) to build in the airspace above South Station, but the city of Boston still owns the airspace. Perry said that Tufts must finish financing and acquiring proper permits before it can purchase the airspace. Hines has more experience working with construction projects than TUDC and has been handling permit acquisition.

"Once permitting and financing are complete, the air rights will be sold jointly to Hines and to TUDC," Perry said.

While it was reported last year that the project would break ground in 2007, problems with paperwork have prevented its commencement.

So far, two contractors were hired for the project: Clark Construction Group, based in Bethesda, Md., and Hunt Construction Group, based in Phoenix, Ariz. Representatives from these companies were unavailable for comment.

Perry is optimistic about the project. While there is no set date for groundbreaking, he expects it to begin in 2008. "The expectation is it will start sometime this year," Perry said.

If all goes as planned, the building should be complete by 2010.

According to a press release from Hines, 650 Atlantic Avenue will be a "green," or environmentally friendly, building. In fact, the building has already received a certification from the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Core and Shell Development program, a part of the United States Green Building Council.

The building is the first office building in Boston to be pre-certified by LEED, having received a silver level of certification. This award will be reviewed after the project has finished.

Hines has been involved with other environmentally friendly projects and has also constructed several buildings in Boston. In 2004, Hines became the first real estate company to be recognized by the EPA for its projects.

Former President Mayer was involved in expanding the university in other ways at the same time the South Station project was proposed. He founded the federally funded Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging.

I couldn't find the article but I read in today's Globe online that B of A may move another division to Boston and that might result in a significant new office space requirement.

You don't happen to know what division? and why? just curious...

I hate these articles. If, "If all goes according to plan, then..." is the opener, it's really not news (not taking a shot at you, awood, for posting, it's people like you who find this stuff that keep this forum going), but it gets everyone's hopes up. It's Boston... maybe I'm just Debbie Downer, but what are the chances of everything going "according to plan?"

However, It's good to see things like this to know it's not dead. Also, Tocoto, that's great news. It's really nice to see office space in such demand even during the slumping economy and housing market.

Last edited:

extremely unlikely that this building will break ground in '08. capital markets and tenant demand not sufficient

It's happening this year, I've heard it from people within Hines who are obviously far more qualified to make such an assessment than a small time local office broker.

^oh shit!

$1,000? small time indeed, make it ten.

Do we need a new section for betting on whether or not certain buildings get built?

Back