South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

So the old waiting room is now the ticket area -- what used to be where the current waiting room and food court are?

^^The tracks used to come further in, I think.

I could be wrong, but I seem to remember seeing old aerial shots where SS formed an almost U shape around the tracks.

I have photos that I will post. The current waiting area and food court were nothing special in those days.
Atlantic Avenue where it runs beside the station was then named Cove Street. South Station superceded two rail terminals off of Cove and Kneeland Streets, one roughly where the Trigen Building is, and the other where the basketball courts are.
The South Station train shed looks special in the old photos, much like Victoria Station in London, or perhaps, reaching down the scale a bit, similar to Queen St. Station in Glasgow. It was demolished in the thirties, allegedly because of the combined effects of salt air and acidity from the locomotives' coal smoke.
I wonder at that explanation, and posit that the shed might have been poorly constructed. It should have lasted more than 40 years. Since rail traffic was at a peak, lower revenue and attendant deferred maintenance ought not to have been factors in the deterioration. Shades of the Big Dig, eh?

South Station once had a movie theatre, later converted into a Catholic chapel. Unfortunately that whole wing of the station was later demolished.

forget the "FULL STEAM AHEAD"

As I said in the fall, market conditions will preclude this project breaking ground in 2008

A plausible opinion, although I'm still not buying into it from you with your lack of awareness on anything else in the city, check your private messages by the way.

I finaly read "Liost Boston." Towards the end, Jane Holtz Kay? (the book's not infront of me) mentioned the proposed tower over south station and said that more of the existing structure would be lost to the development. Is this true?

No. She meant its dignity. Can't say I agree.

She's also talking about a much older incarnation of the tower.

One that would have been directly over the existing station, rather than behind it.

At one point there was a plan to tear down the whole building. I think she's referring to the original location of the current proposed building. It would have reduced the impact of the current head house. The new location is much better, and I believe it lines up with Washington St in the South End and Lower Roxbury. This should be a very impressive view.

There was also the plan to demolish the station and to place a football stadium over the tracks. This was around 1969 or so, when the Patriots were threatening to move to Birmingham, Alabama, I believe.

The waiting room in gradual decline:

001947.jpg

There was also the plan to demolish the station and to place a football stadium over the tracks. This was around 1969 or so, when the Patriots were threatening to move to Birmingham, Alabama, I believe.

Don't recall ever seeing this plan. I do remember seeing a scheme by Jose Luis Sert for an inter-modal transportation hub in his characteristic Brutalist grammar. I'll dig for a rendering tonight.

I can't seem to dig out a plan for the South Station football stadium.

There was a conceptual drawing floating around on the pages of the Traveller, Record American, maybe even the Globe. It showed a generic donut shaped stadium, similar to the type being built in Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, etc. at about the same time. The stadium would have held a little more than 50,000, and was to be placed up on stilts over the site of the current head house and tracks. This was the first "air rights" development proposal for South Station of which I am aware.

Billy Sullivan, the Boston Patriots owner (and a very, very nice guy) had a couple of problems in the late 60's. First, although he was a talented businessman, he didn't have the deep pockets f.u. money that guys like Lamar Hunt had. Of more pressing concern were the terms of the merger between the AFL and NFL. All 26 owners agreed that every team would have a stadium that could hold at least 50,000 seats by 1970. The Pats had previously bounced around between Braves Field, Alumni Stadium, Fenway Park (end zones by 3rd base and the bullpen, temporary grandstand in left and left center field: hey, it was a pretty good place to watch football!) and Harvard Stadium. None of them held 50k; when Harvard tore down the wooden grandstand at the end of the horseshoe, capacity dropped into the 30's.

Red Sox owner Tom Yawkey listened to Bill's idea about permanently reconfiguring Fenway Park by tearing down the left field wall and putting permanent bleachers out there. But Yawkey had inherited buckets of money 35 years earlier, and after the Sox won the A.L. pennant in 67, the average game attendance rose from about 4000 a game to 25,000. Yawkey and the Sox never looked back, and Bill had to look elsewhere for a solution.

In 68, Bill got a group in Birmingham, Alabama to host a "home" game at Legion Field against local hero Joe Namath and the Jets. (Jets won.) Bill then leveraged the threat of a move to Dixie into draft legislation authorizing the Commonwealth to take Harvard Stadium by eminent domain. Simultaneously, Bill got the city interested in the "modernizing" idea of either an air rights stadium at South Station, or a stadium to be built on the open burn dump at Neponset (now "Pope John Paul II Park"). This "progressive" idea had a side benefit: with a donut stadium, you could move the Red Sox into it, tear down that embarassment, Fenway Park, and everything would be up to date like Kansas City (to paraphrase the showtune.) All those crap donuts are being torn down now, because they were o.k. for football, but poor for baseball.

Luckily for us, it all came to naught. But Bill was the winner: he got the capital to build Schaefer ("the one beer to have") Stadium for what, $3 million? And that $25,000 franchise fee he paid for a lowly AFL franchise (I think Hunt loaned it to him) turned into a gain of millions for an NFL franchise.

As for us, nothing more than a bus station over the air rights yet! But the park in the Neponset dump is perfect if you need a transportation friendly mob burial site or dig that whole open space thing.

Ahh! We've drifted too far away from the topic! What the heck is going on with this tower!? I want progress darn it!

I want progress darn it!

The sort of progress I'd like to see is a new design. This is a 700' yawn by a competent architect. Please try harder, Cesar. And how about this for the ceiling of the waiting area?

I can't seem to dig out a plan for the South Station football stadium.

I just dug out an old BSA catalog (ca. 1970) and neither the concrete donut stadium (thanks for the history lesson) nor Sert's transit hub (which would have razed South Station) are in it. The Sert is pretty dull, basically Holyoke Center's design palate but a scale closer to the new Convention Center.

Last edited:

Ahh! We've drifted too far away from the topic! What the heck is going on with this tower!? I want progress darn it!

Dig out some news and give us an update! Till then, you are left with we old duffers raking over the ashes.

,"what if?"

The punishment for daring to dream in Boston is decapitation.

Back