South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

The unfortunate thing is that if that was built the "hat" would look kinda cheap, much like 111 Huntington. Modern glass skyscrapers and large decoration don't mix. Compare that model to the Chrysler Building.

I never liked that original proposal ... It looked like a glass version of One Financial with an ugly spire.

The unfortunate thing is that if that was built the "hat" would look kinda cheap, much like 111 Huntington. Modern glass skyscrapers and large decoration don't mix. Compare that model to the Chrysler Building.

Hmm? The crown on 111 Huntington doesn't mix? I beg to differ though I respect your opinion. 111 Huntington would look dull and boring without the crown on it. I also believe that it is one of the better skyscrapers in Boston thanks in part of it's crown. Otherwise, 111 Huntington will be as unnoticeable as any of the other 500 foot towers.

IMO, SST looks better with the spire because it makes it unique among other towers. It may look like One Financial Center with a spire but I think that's better than a tower the look like One Financial Center with no spire. However, I do agree the spire doesn't look great from the side angles as it is slanted toward the front. I think it would look the best if it has a spire similar to Nashville's Signature Tower.

111 Huntington would look dull and boring without the crown on it. I also believe that it is one of the better skyscrapers in Boston thanks in part of it's crown. Otherwise, 111 Huntington will be as unnoticeable as any of the other 500 foot towers.

I agree with you. It's not that I don't like the crown, it's more that it goes against Modernist design principles.

So the old waiting room is now the ticket area -- what used to be where the current waiting room and food court are?

Voila. No Sbarro's here, though.

lobby.jpg

Slow day for commuters and panhandlers, apparently.

shed.jpg

Thomas the Tank Engine escapes South Station train shed. Ringo on levers, Denny on shovel.

choochoo.jpg

I agree about the hat....i don't think it would look well against the buildings in the financial district. Although I think that might have looked nice in the Back Bay. We'd have a new big three of buildings with weird/fancy tops. Huntington, the Pru (Which, imo, looks like a fishing boat, and i love it :D) and then that.

You like the Pru? That's cool. I've "grown accustomed" to it, but when I first moved to Boston and the Sox were in their first World Series, I was hoping that we'd win it at home so that they would tear it down in the process of "celebrating"

If they were to build it now, I'd probably puke myself to death, but, its been there my whole life, so i've kind of learned to love it.

I have a certain love for the Pru that dates back to my childhood. Whenever my family would drive into the city that was the one building I'd focus on. As a kid I always thought the top of the Pru with all the antennas and Spire looked like Cloud City from Star Wars. Its got a face only a mother/father could love. Might not be perfect, but you love it just the same.

I like the Pru. It's iconic- maybe not in the best of ways, but it is a landmark and it's certainly unique. It's a box yet it manages to look different depending on where you view it from. It's not the prettiest building, but I do find it attractive.

Maybe this is an easy trivia question for readers of this site, but I lost a contest once on it ...

How many sides of the building have "Prudential" written on them?

Don't answer here, I'll update in 2 days.

Haha, I like the subtle hint.

The Pru looks its best from a distance (not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, lol). It also looks better (ironically enough) from its wider sides.

The Pru looks its best from a distance (not sure if that's a compliment or an insult, lol). It also looks better (ironically enough) from its wider sides.

the Pru has wider sides?

It looks slightly rectangular in aerial images.

subtle hint would make me say 2, although i always thought it was one.

The majority of the Prudential complex is on a 30' structural grid, and the Pru tower is a 5:6 plan -- 150 x 180 feet, with the wider sides facing east-west.

Singbat, I bet there's been a time before when you were standing on Memorial Drive by MIT looking at the skyline and thought, "boy, the Pru sure looks nice and slim." That's why.

The majority of the Prudential complex is on a 30' structural grid, and the Pru tower is a 5:6 plan -- 150 x 180 feet, with the wider sides facing east-west.

Singbat, I bet there's been a time before when you were standing on Memorial Drive by MIT looking at the skyline and thought, "boy, the Pru sure looks nice and slim." That's why.

true enough. but then everything looks better when you're standing on Memorial Drive... :)

subtle hint would make me say 2, although i always thought it was one.

definitely 2. The east and west sides, but not the north and south (facing the Charles and Dorchester)

In the Boston Business Journal today:

Friday, May 16, 2008 - 9:21 AM EDT
South Station Tower earns EPA green design awardBoston Business Journal - Boston Business Journal

The planned South Station Office Tower was the only Massachusetts project to receive the Environmental Protection Agency's Design to Earn Energy Star label this year.

The tower, designed by Kendall Heaton Architects and Pelli Clark Pelli Architects, was determined to meet the EPA's standards for reduction of greenhouse gas emissions and energy efficiency in a commercial building. It was one of five projects in New England to receive the award at the American Institute of Architects (AIA) convention in Boston Thursday.

Forty-six projects nationwide received the distinction this year. The projects in all are estimated to eliminate 120 million pounds of greenhouse gasses and save $5 million in energy costs.

Energy Star was introduced by the EPA in 1992 as a voluntary, market-based partnership to reduce greenhouse gas emissions through energy efficiency.

Hines Interests LP is developing the South Station project, which calls for a 49-story, 1 million-square-foot office tower.

http://www.bizjournals.com/boston/stories/2008/05/12/daily43.html?jst=b_ln_hl

Back