South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

The goose was admiring the tower too!

1722265588420.png

I hate to ask this but will it rise to where that piece is on top or is it topped off now?

I hate to ask this but will it rise to where that piece is on top or is it topped off now?
That piece that sticks out is two elements: one portion is concrete (assuming a roof access point). The second shown in this pic below is steel for the screen/ crown.

They’re both the same height and renders show a clean/ uniform peak, so I would presume that the top of this new piece of metal work accurately depicts the eventual full height of the tower.

IMG_0284.jpeg

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that they didn't create a keystone at the top of the arch? I know it's not load-bearing so it would just be for aesthetics, but it bothers me that there's a seam at the peak of the arches.
It would bother me if the arches were visibly composed of 3-dimensional blocks of stones, but to me it all reads like a tilework veneer. You see actual structural columns covered in tile (or other similar "2D" veneers all the time). Here, the difference between the interior face of the arch and vertical surfaces above/around the arch are clearly composed of differentlypatterned 2D "tiles," so it doesn't look like they're trying to fake you into thinking the arch is built of blocks.

What really bothers me is cheap '90s Po-Mo buildings that have columns or arches composed of fake 3D looking elements that are in actually hollow and have unsightly seams all over the place (and sound like a drum when you tap them...think: the columns outside a suburban Barnes & Noble).

Here, it is clearly a veneer and not trying to be anything other than that, so it's in harmony in my brain. Plus it's (IMO) a damn nice veneer. It's analogous to how a structural vaulted ceiling in a classic old subway station might be covered in tile, but you know there's an actual structural vault under there somewhere.

To me, it looks like South Station suddenly sprouted an outgrowth, like a large quartz crystal from a granite rock.
But all in all, it is a great project for Boston, even though I'm not crazy about the way the glass tower looks in the context of the stone masonry South Station.

Back