South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

It looks like they're additive, and being welded on. Definitely very cool to watch how it's done. It'll be nice to see this feature greet arriving rail passengers with some pizzazz. I liked how the new Causeway entrance at TD Garden nearly accomplished a similar feat. Hopefully Back Bay Station's redevelopment adds some similar 'wow', too.

+1. Architecture - - especially highly visible public architecture - should be a statement. I love this part of this project far more than the anonymous blue glass tower. THIS is the part that most humans (particularly visitors) will see as Boston.

Last edited:
Same spot a few hours apart, yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1691.jpeg
    IMG_1691.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 285
  • IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1687.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 284
Same spot a few hours apart, yesterday.
Anyone know anything about what term or terms apply to what they are doing with this type of bracing to support the upper arches/interior domes? I'd love to know more about what this support technique is all about.

Arches as of 9/7

Attachments

• IMG_5929.JPG
    IMG_5929.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 231
  • IMG_5930.JPG
    IMG_5930.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5931.JPG
    IMG_5931.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 206
  • IMG_5932.JPG
    IMG_5932.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 208
  • IMG_5933.JPG
    IMG_5933.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 215
  • IMG_5934.JPG
    IMG_5934.JPG
    4.9 MB · Views: 223
As of 9/7 Buildings along Atlantic Ave.

Attachments

• IMG_5909.JPG
    IMG_5909.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5910.JPG
    IMG_5910.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_5911.JPG
    IMG_5911.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5912.JPG
    IMG_5912.JPG
    5.3 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_5913.JPG
    IMG_5913.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 112
  • IMG_5920.JPG
    IMG_5920.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 113
  • IMG_5925.JPG
    IMG_5925.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 116

Wow thats the first time Ive ever thought to myself that the fort point angle toward downtown looked stunning. In the past it had always been “man this has so much potential but is kinda meh”. Definitely still has lots of unmet potential especially with the post office, but some new bling is really giving it a facelift.

Its too bad the whole south bay became an industrial wasteland where all of the necessary but ugly infrastructure like the highway, rail yards, warehouses…etc got dumped and became too much of a mess to ever untangle because in my head I can imagine a world where a few different decisions had been made and it would have been a much easier place to redevelop. Really it seems the rail yards started the whole chain reaction shit show.

I feel like if the rail yards had been put somewhere else a bit further out like in south bay center instead of all along that stretch of old colony right of way then you would have had only those two tracks there to and from south station and the highway could have been put down next to them where the rail yards ended up going today. So instead of highways and rail yards hemming in the old south bay as it is now from both sides you could have had both the highway and commuter rail along the rail row freeing up all of the rest of widett and the old south bay to connect to the south end. Then you still would have had the channelized fort point channel all the way back to widett because it was only filled in all the way up to 4th st for the highway expansion, so that would have been a major catalyst for redeveloping the area. Sucks to think about.

Either way even without undoing all of that today theres still tons of potential with a post office and gillette move so it will still end up being a pretty decent area when all is said and done.

Wow thats the first time Ive ever thought to myself that the fort point angle toward downtown looked stunning. In the past it had always been “man this has so much potential but is kinda meh”. Definitely still has lots of unmet potential especially with the post office

Dorchester Ave being a public right of way that is also very much off-limits federal property sums up the so-close-yet-so-far vibes of that area perfectly. Every time I'm sitting at a red light at Summer and Dorchester I see that road and think "oh that looks like it could go somewhere cool." Alas.

Back