South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

But, seriously, has anyone even asked the company for comment? Seems all this media attention was the result of one person noticing an update to the Hines website, which no one has even confirmed happened recently?

I google searched it and it looked like it was updated March 14.

Edit: More, but based on the same update. https://www.universalhub.com/2016/developer-says-work-could-finally-begin-towers

^ well theres the first source yet regarding what we have been speculating on. Not to mention theres a few more towers going up as well.

"In a new page on its Web site, first spotted by BLDUP.com, Hines says it's planning a 49-story, 970,000-square-foot office tower, a second office building about half that size, a 155-unit, 323-foot tall condo tower and a 200-room hotel, along with a garage with roughly 755 spaces, all fitting above the tracks and the bus terminal."

So a 677ish foot office tower, a 2nd office tower in the 335 foot range, a 323 ft condo tower, plus a 200 room hotel. Jesus.

Nah, there's nothing new in the UHub post. ArchBoston, BLDUP, UHub, and Curbed all follow each other, so as soon as something new is posted on one of the sites the others update accordingly. I wouldn't be surprised to see a South Station Tower post on Curbed tomorrow...

Everyone here is just going off of the Hines website refresh, which may or may not amount to anything.

The Wayback Machine shows that the change happened after 1/24/15 and before 3/16/15 so it had to be within the past year at the very least.

buildup.com said:
....49-story, 678-foot tall, 970,000 square foot tower consisting of office space.

678'??

621' + 57' mech screen?

The Hynes web site seems to make a very specific claim about construction

About South Station
The South Station development will consist of the completion of the South Station Transportation Center at the lower levels of the project, plus the addition of a 49-story, 970,000-square-foot office tower, a 155-unit residential condominium and 200-room hotel building, a 525,000-square-foot office building, and parking for approximately 755 cars.
In addition to its emphasis on sustainable design, important considerations in the master plan were the preservation of the historic South Station train station building; the linkage of the existing train station and bus terminal; and the ability to facilitate the future expansion of the train station.
With commencement of construction anticipated in early 2017, South Station is destined to become a future landmark in Boston.

Since foundations were drilled during the Big Dig work the suggestion is that we would see a crane begin the awesome climb to downtown nesting majesty sometime in the summer of 2017

I think they rounded a bit the FAA approved this tower for 677 feet as of February 2016.

I think they rounded a bit the FAA approved this tower for 677 feet as of February 2016.

It depends on the street they're measuring from. Official height measures from the absolute lowest point. For example, the Millennium Tower FAA said 677' but that was to Washington Street. It's 685' measured from Hawley. That could account for the foot difference. The official height will never be less than the FAA height, but could be slightly more.

Thanks for that explanation that makes more sense now.

The Hynes web site seems to make a very specific claim about construction

Since foundations were drilled during the Big Dig work the suggestion is that we would see a crane begin the awesome climb to downtown nesting majesty sometime in the summer of 2017

Thats what I was asking before, how far along are they on the pilings/foundation. Did they finish? I know they started. This tower should literally be ready to go once they get the word.

Thats what I was asking before, how far along are they on the pilings/foundation. Did they finish? I know they started. This tower should literally be ready to go once they get the word.

Stick -- the way I understand it from briefings on the Big Dig work back when -- nothing needs to be drilled into the ground for any of the South Station project as then defined by the BRA filings, as all the work was done simultaneously while the tunnel boxes were being jacked and the soil frozen, under the tracks, etc.

Of course it could be that there are some peripheral foundation piles needed which were not encompassed by the scope of the Big Dig contract work

Thats great to hear so this thing is happening as rendered (unless a little taller) and they are just waiting on the go and once they get it its on. No pussy footing around in a hole for a year ahead of time (cough 1 dalton).

...yes I know 1 Daltons prep work is necessary I was just kidding.

Just noticed that universal hub article was put out yesterday, doesn't get more current than that.

Type001- your a beast you posted the info here like 3 hours before they put that out. Way to be diligent as hell.

Haha, thanks. I hate to admit it, but I must have checked the Hines site every 2 weeks for the last 8 years. Which is why I truly believe things are really moving now. The site was static for years.

This current wave of development is great. It would be amazing to see this, one dalton, bromfield, Congress Street garage, 111 Federal, Pierce Fenway, and the north station towers going up at the same time. This ain't beantown this is boomtown.

It probably could never happen, too big too expensive, but it would be interesting to explore a public private partnership between the SST group, Ciafaro and B. Properties/Delaware North to make the new towers & mega-developments and N/S rail link project work together. Maybe together, all parties could generate the funding and political push to get the rail link, station upgrades, and housing, office, space, etc. the city needs (gotta make a profit too).

This current wave of development is great. It would be amazing to see this, one dalton, bromfield, Congress Street garage, 111 Federal, Pierce Fenway, and the north station towers going up at the same time. This ain't beantown this is boomtown.

^I'm ditching my baseball cap kiosk and switching to hard-hats!

First company that came to mind was BOA as well. With all the backlash against the new legislation passed it would not surprise me that they were looking to at least threaten to jump ship.

A likely future anchor tenant in the near-term for the seaport / south station area is going to be KPMG. They will move a lot of resources from CT / NYC area and expand to be closer to one of their biggest clients (GE). I think they've got 95k sf office in Boston now but will likely need at least 225k so look for them to potentially be a large anchor tenant on one of these new office projects underway. No specific inside info here but it will be one first direct benefits of the GE headquarter win. A 250k to 300k lease at this Project might be enough to get it rolling.

A likely future anchor tenant in the near-term for the seaport / south station area is going to be KPMG. They will move a lot of resources from CT / NYC area and expand to be closer to one of their biggest clients (GE). I think they've got 95k sf office in Boston now but will likely need at least 225k so look for them to potentially be a large anchor tenant on one of these new office projects underway. No specific inside info here but it will be one first direct benefits of the GE headquarter win. A 250k to 300k lease at this Project might be enough to get it rolling.

Is this the case considering that GE isn't bringing most of their back office operations with them to Boston? The HQ will be the leadership team and a couple hundred designers, programmers, and engineers. Their accountants and such are staying in the tri-state area.

Back