South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Is this the case considering that GE isn't bringing most of their back office operations with them to Boston? The HQ will be the leadership team and a couple hundred designers, programmers, and engineers. Their accountants and such are staying in the tri-state area.

when Boeing moved to Chicago in the early 2000s, Deloitte increased their chicago office to meet the new needs. This is something that I have some insider knowledge on.From the sounds of it, GE is doing a similar relo to Boeing in the sense that it is only 800ish top people. I'm not confirming anything, I'm just saying there is precedent.

Also it is very possible that KPMG wants a new office to compete with PWC's 101 seaport.

Is this the case considering that GE isn't bringing most of their back office operations with them to Boston? The HQ will be the leadership team and a couple hundred designers, programmers, and engineers. Their accountants and such are staying in the tri-state area.

I don't think so - the partners that run the GE account will surely bring their large teams to be close to Bornstein. GE's a $100+mm account for them and with respect to auditing, tax and similar services, proximity matters a great deal.

Boston is a much better location to recruit recent college grads than Stamford, CT (you can call me Captain Obvious) and they need constant supply. KPMG is probably under represented in Boston relative to its size so I think they'll use this move as a catalyst for growth. I don't work at KPMG so could be completely wrong but there's some rumblings.

One of the nice benefits of the GE move for Boston is that GE uses an epic amount of professional services (I think they file the largest US tax return, the busiest M&A group, etc.). So you'll see some of the larger vendors open offices within a few blocks of this location just for proximity to the leadership team.

^ Interesting, thanks BuildItDenser and novacat.

KPMG's current primary Boston location is at 60 South St, which is directly across Atlantic Avenue from the South Station Tower site.

^ Interesting, thanks BuildItDenser and novacat.

KPMG's current primary Boston location is at 60 South St, which is directly across Atlantic Avenue from the South Station Tower site.

I thought KPMG moved their Boston office to Two Financial Center? They have a sign, albeit a small one, on the side of the building.

^ 60 South St = Two Financial Center

Much more optimistic title than "South Station Tower - Dead Forever??" :)

Article from about a month ago:

Final reports filed for 1.8M-square-foot South Station project
Boston Business Journal

Hines Interests LP and TUDC LLC have filed final impact reports with the state and city for the 1.8 million-square-foot mixed-use project proposed at South Station Transportation Center.

The development partners filed an environmental impact report with the state and the final project impact report with the Boston Redevelopment Authority. The final reports respond to issues raised by the state and city in permits filed in 2000 and 2002.

The filings represent a major step forward in the development of the site, according to an announcement by the development partners.

The documents represent revisions to the proposal in response to comments and concerns raised from such neighbors as the Federal Railroad Administration, Amtrak, the Federal Transit Administration, the Federal Aviation Administration and the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority.

The revised project includes a proposed 40-story office tower, a 13-story hotel and residential building and a nine-story office building to be built on air rights between the back of South Station and the bus terminal. Hines has proposed $40 million in transportation-related improvements to South Station. The transportation improvements would connect the train station and bus terminal and expand the terminal by 40 percent.

David Perry, senior vice president at Hines, said in a statement the South Station project will generate approximately 2,600 jobs during construction and approximately 6,000 permanent jobs in the hotel and office buildings after completion.

Linkage payments will total approximately $10 million, and real estate taxes are anticipated to be approximately $12 million per year, according to the statement, which said the total private investment in the project is expected to exceed $800 million.

The plan to redevelop South Station first came about in 1963. In 1984 the MBTA, BRA and Federal Railroad Administration announced the plan to redevelop the site into a major transportation and commercial center. In 1991, the BRA designated TUDC, a wholly owned subsidiary of Tufts University, as the developer of the air rights above South Station.

TUDC selected Hines to be its co-developer in October 1997 and later selected Cesar Pelli & Associates Inc. of New Haven, Conn. as the design architect.

Hines is a privately owned real estate firm involved in real estate investment, development and property management worldwide with assets valued at $11.7 billion. Hines has been active in the Boston real estate market since 1980, and is the developer and property manager of 500 Hundred Boylston and 222 Berkeley St.

^^That above is from a 2006 BBJ article........
............................I guess it can be said that sometimes, the "wheels of development" turn slowly. 32 years since the plans to redevelop were announced. 53 years since the concept originated..... I hope it's "walker accessible" by the time it get's built so I can come see it before they send me to the home. :p

Last edited:

6 thousand permanent jobs is no joke.

^That's a HUGE number of jobs...I really hope this time, this thing gets done. I'm SO glad GE chose to move here, because I truly believe that has been the impetus to get this project moving again.

Anyone else aside from me expecting a flashy press release today about this development that says
1720-April-Fools-2011-The-Big-List.jpg

SST---I feel like this will be the most complex projects of them all.

I hope they can pull this off. It would be a great addition.

I still can't believe Harbor Garage is undeveloped. What a disgrace.

^^^ the most appropriate characterization.

Boston: we won't give into a developer

mulitiplied exponentially on the waterfront.

Isn't this something? ....South Station is finally a GO, I think they should put a large stylized illuminated eagle of some sort at the top of the crown, to match the one at the main entrance...all three of our major transportation hubs in the midst of transformative projects...Now, if we could only connect South Station with North Station, I'd be a happy camper! (actually that would be a happy flyer...because it would be SO much easier to get to Logan from North Station/points west/north)...oops, that's another thread. :)

Here's a freebie article, seems like there may be some shrinkage in the office component, hopefully its just a remix and doesn't affect the height.

http://www.bankerandtradesman.com/2016/04/south-station-tower-plan-revived/

- Hines hopes to break ground early next year
- Hines' designation to develop site will expire in 2017 if no action
- Hines has asked the BRA to be on the agenda as soon as the next meeting on next Thursday

Holy shit. This is actually a real revival.

Yea I know it was approved for 100% office space so it sounds like they need to amend it to swap some of the office space for residential.

This is going to have to be a major redesign then, right? You can't just swap office and residential without affecting every aspect of the tower.

Back