South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

This is so ugly that it's hilarious. Still better than nothing, and it gets points for being 700ft.

Still alot better looking than the federal reserve bank building behind it.

I like it

This tower will align with the Greenway and also point to the South Boston Seaport / Innovation District

Early on -- I called for an iconic Pharos for Boston -- lighting the way from the south and low and behold Peli says
The southern end of the Phase 1 building has become dramatically slender, which will have equal visual impact to commuters and visitors arriving from the south. The visual result of these subtle transformations is that the Phase 1 building is both the terminus to the Greenway, but also the prow of the city’s growth toward the Seaport District and South Boston. .... The former atrium has been filled in with four floors of amenity/retail space for the Project. The result will be a more activated street-wall, humanly scaled and proportioned that will create a vibrant street life during off-peak hours.
The terrace at the interconnecting Sky Street level will continue to create a setback respectful to the height of the Head House, but has been broadened to provide greater opportunity for outdoor activity. The end result on the pedestrian realm will be one of a smaller scale presence that reflects the architectural character of existing buildings in the Leather District. There is also an increased clearance between the Head House and the lobby, improving pedestrian flow and access to daylight, facilitating a direct pedestrian link between the station, the adjacent USPS property and the waterfront.
and the Pharos of the Pièce de résistance [my highlight in bold]
It serves as a well-tailored terminus of the Rose Kennedy Greenway. The oval form respectfully echoes the curve of the historic South Station Head House. The tower wall will be clad in a lightly reflective glass and the tower top will be gently lit at night, adding another landmark to downtown Boston.
Alexandria_Egypt.jpg

slight resemblance N'est-ce Pas?

Next Year by this time we should see this and GE well underway -- hope that we've some poster's with access to some high offices near by

Still alot better looking than the federal reserve bank building behind it.

No way you really dont like that? I love that building, its a 1 of a kind, unique to Boston, and looks very cool. Thats fine if you dont but I thought most people did?

Back on topic the older design was about as classy a glass "essentially" box could look. Very high quality glass, great proportions, set backs, the "chic" Boston taper crown, all above South Station. I really hope this new version isn't the final design. That last one was very, very, high quality architecture.

Agreed fed reserve is unique to Boston, points for being different and points for having a fed in our city

It just looks cool too. Sometimes unique can come out terrible but I think the Fed is awesome.The truss supporting all of those floors above between two anchors, the shades that block the sun in the summer and let it in in the winter- also due to its angling. That building is badass, and the two points give it horns.

I wish they would make the tower all residential so its thin the entire way and then put the offices in separate towers behind this.

This has to pass muster over at the BCDC before any construction can begin, right? Also, I feel there are certain similarities between this and the North Station development: equal in importance to how the tower looks is how all that new street-level stuff works out.

Can we skip the parts where everyone hates it and go right to the parts where everyone says, "It's not as bad as I thought it would be"?

My question is when will they start building it? Seems to be all this talk from them, but no action.

My question is when will they start building it? Seems to be all this talk from them, but no action.

Filing the formal NPC on Friday is a big step forward, and took a lot of work and investment. It is a 220 page document full of serious planning studies required to get BRA approval.

This is moving forward, you just don't see the activity at this stage of the approval process.

Correct me if i am wrong but the approval has a time limit that expires next spring so watch for construction to begin fast on this one . Is that correct?

Correct me if i am wrong but the approval has a time limit that expires next spring so watch for construction to begin fast on this one . Is that correct?

Nepatz -- the Timeline from the document -- my formatting with my highlights in [Bold]:
Schedule
The redevelopment of the site will proceed generally from the north end of the site to the south end. The Project phases may be constructed during different periods of time.

The Proponent currently estimates that construction of the bus terminal expansion, the ancillary South Station transportation improvements, the next phase of the parking garage and the Phase 1 building will commence in 2017, and will be completed approximately four years after commencement of construction.

Construction of the Phase 2 building is expected to commence within one year after completion of the Phase 1 building, and will be completed approximately two years after commencement of construction.

Construction of the Phase 3 building is expected to commence within one year after completion of the Phase 2 building, and will be completed approximately two years after commencement of construction.

However, the schedule may be expedited or extended depending on market forces.

So to summarize:
  • 2017 -- 2021
  • 2022 -- 2024
  • 2025 -- 2027

So the project will last about 10 years [depending on market forces] -- but that's not bad for something of the scale of the Pru Complex

No way you really dont like that? I love that building, its a 1 of a kind, unique to Boston, and looks very cool. Thats fine if you dont but I thought most people did?

Back on topic the older design was about as classy a glass "essentially" box could look. Very high quality glass, great proportions, set backs, the "chic" Boston taper crown, all above South Station. I really hope this new version isn't the final design. That last one was very, very, high quality architecture.

my second fave high-rise in town -- agreed fully!

Makes sense because like I said they are under some deadline to get shovel in ground. If they dont do it by spring 2017 (forgrt the actual date) i think they have to go before bra again. So like i said expect this one to start fast.

And the best part is the Tower is phase 1, not phase 7 like some of these other projects (copley tower i am looking at you).

This thing has an excellent chance of being built! It will be a huge plus downtown

Back