South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

It's a literal middle finger.

I also remember the new tallest proposal from 1998. I thought it was 840' though. I know there are pics of it somewhere online but I can't seem to find them right now.

However, I did find this one from 1990! Dodged a bullet! Credit to Getty Images and the Boston Globe.

Capture by David Z, on Flickr

I personally like the portion in the back. It's excellent use of a lot of otherwise wasted space.

PoMo was the worst. It was all about making terrible decisions and defending them with the idea that it was just "irony" at work.

I still like International Place a lot, and that's about as PoMo as they get.

PoMo was the worst. It was all about making terrible decisions and defending them with the idea that it was just "irony" at work.

Can't this be said about most latter-half 20th century styles that were designed around a concept rather than what people might actually find attractive to look at?

A lot of this stuff looks good enough in a render or model but full-scale in the city and it's a disaster.

That particular design looks like it belongs in a "remember when Boston almost became Gotham in the 80s?" thread.

^ Indeed. I'm guessing you're referring to this hot mess from KPF. There's an unsettling similarity between the two proposals.

I still like International Place a lot, and that's about as PoMo as they get.

seconded!

venturi and scott brown's vision for what became pomo is radically different from some of the more egregious missteps that get unfairly lumped into the general category.

pomo is no better or worse than most aesthetic trends. as with any style, there are some great examples and some piles of shit.

^^^Thanks for finding that! I always thought it resembled a sleeker, taller 1 Financial with a giant out of place spire on top.

I like the tower (at least more than the current proposal), but, wow, that spire being off center bothers me way more than it should.

^ The redesign before the most recent one was basically that tower without the spire and a crown in its place.

Yeah, but seemingly shorter, fatter, and I don't dig the current set backs that much. The height on this one seems to balance things out better. Also note, only talking about the head on render, the harbor side render looks terrible (especially with the spire).

The only way that could have looked normal on the skyline is if the 1000’ winthrop sq tower was built.

Why does it seem that all the original renderings for most developments usually have the best vision from the start.

Back