South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

Why does it seem that all the original renderings for most developments usually have the best vision from the start.

Because they're visions and not the actual, buildable product.

The only way that could have looked normal on the skyline is if the 1000’ winthrop sq tower was built.

Call me crazy but i think the asymmetrical spire is awesome.

That plan was a 10+ for that site.

While the spire is asymmetrical, it would definitely stand out. There's nothing in Boston close to the raw architectural expression that the spire would have brought.

The 1998 proposal was a hypodermic needle stuck on a scale model of South Station.

It was considered just like the Belkin 1000’ winthrop sq. tower was considered. Neither were going to happen. Mayor Menino himself was promoting the 1000' winthrop sq. tower.

trans_national_group_133_federal.jpg

1180145581_3533.jpg

070315rudolph2lg.jpg

4202295498_c7be61cc7f_o.jpg

4202295510_46511ffd16_o.jpg

All I can find for the old tower is the version where the spire was removed. Its basically been taken off the internet and my old photos don't work anymore, but Im sure somebody on here has it saved. It was basically this with a massive spire off to one side of the crown.

bstn-wtrfrnt.jpg

1151582522_1271.jpg

The initial project was designed by Renzo Piano Building Workshop, but fell apart after the 2008 economy collapse and the following recession. Instead, Piano's office got busy doing other smaller commissions around Boston, like the Isabella Steward's garden museum & Harvard Art museums.

https://boston.curbed.com/2013/2/25...t-downtown-skyscraper-designed-by-renzo-piano

SST is one of our 4 mythical towers

approved but next to zero chance of ever being built.....

1. SST
2. Copley
3. HGT (it sort of is approved)
4. CCT (Columbus Ctr)

Columbus Center hasn't been approved.

It's my understanding that the original project (circa 2007) was approved and site prep had begun.

City Hall and State possess the legal authority to transfer this project to a new development group without a repeat of the previous decade's drama.....

Lawsuits trying to stop it will not have an easy time in court.

The State has about had it with frivolous lawsuits and nimby's.

It's my understanding that the original project (circa 2007) was approved and site prep had begun.

City Hall and State possess the legal authority to transfer this project to a new development group without a repeat of the previous decade's drama.....

Lawsuits trying to stop it will not have an easy time in court.

The State has about had it with frivolous lawsuits and nimby's.

Why don't yall take this opportunity to bump the dead Columbus Center thread. This is the dead SST thread

I believe the proper terminology for dead Boston projects is “scuttled”. See dead 1 Bromfield thread.

Why don't yall take this opportunity to bump the dead Columbus Center thread. This is the dead SST thread

i too was incredulous after the thread was bumped with Mesozoic, dead mayor, so long ago dead project pics of Transnational.

Interesting though; the resurrection of Columbus Ctr may not be as un-possible and unimaginable as people all think.

While the spire is asymmetrical, it would definitely stand out. There's nothing in Boston close to the raw architectural expression that the spire would have brought.

That's no bullshit. :)

The final version of the proposed SST was ugly anyway, in my opinion. Hopefully a new, different structure will develop.

Am I the only one who looks at these headhouses and sees a Klansman's hood. Machado & Silvetti have done some good work, but these are just creepy.
img1.jpg

Am I the only one who looks at these headhouses and sees a Klansman's hood. Machado & Silvetti have done some good work, but these are just creepy.
img1.jpg

I think you are alone, or at least part of very small community who does. I can be a little dense but it took awhile to see what you are seeing.

No but the cantilevered turd across the street is truly God's most awful.

it certainly makes incredible use of the micro-parcel.

Back