South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

So... January 2019 issue of Boston Magazine is out. pp. 32-33 spread is titled, "Going Up!". Profiles 6 transformative projects in the downtown core:

1.) One Dalton
2.) Back Bay MBTA station tower
3.) Bulfinch Crossing/One Congress
4.) 115 Winthrop Sq.
5.) South Station Tower
6.) Echelon Seaport

For South Station, the piece writes:

Expected Completion: 2020

This, for a project that won't even have permits by late 2019 by the absolute earliest. But yeah, sure, you can select a general contractor and put up a 600+ foot tower atop South Station in 12 months and have a certificate of occupancy by Dec. 31, 2020, no problem!

Proof I'm not making this up can be accessed here.

Boston Magazine, to quote the legendary Walter Sobchak: you're out of your element.

Last edited:

I think the south station view doesnt give us a good enough idea of what this looks like from actual ground level with the tower behind the station. It could look great we dont know.

We do have these which is good, but Id like to see a ground level view from the greenway. The good.. or bad thing, depending, is it will only look like the tobasco bottle from dead on in front on South Station or behind in fort point. Besides that you get this.
fit

PelliClark_15tower02_biz.jpg

Its also thinner on the backside so that will be a different look.
1808e0a481f6a8e4d0de1663854ea817.png

Heres a structural diagram I found Ive never seen.
BSS-Large4.jpg

This
3b1815357247f06d27a565b069f353e3.jpg

Plus this
By8kPvbCUAA4JOu.jpg

Is going to be huge..

Last edited:

I liked the offset spire from several iterations back. It was a little inelegant, but it did echo the clock/eagle on South Station far below. Even with the shorter height now (I think that older iteration was ~800 feet or so) I think that would have looked pretty good.

I really don't like the proportions of the current design. The first setback is jarring. The whole building could be plopped anywhere, I don't see any relation to SS in it at all.

This one, yea I did too.

image.jpg

So... January 2019 issue of Boston Magazine is out. pp. 32-33 spread is titled, "Going Up!". Profiles 6 transformative projects in the downtown core:

1.) One Dalton
2.) Back Bay MBTA station tower
3.) Bulfinch Crossing/One Congress
4.) 115 Winthrop Sq.
5.) South Station Tower
6.) Echelon Seaport

For South Station, the piece writes:

Expected Completion: 2020

This, for a project that won't even have permits by late 2019 by the absolute earliest. But yeah, sure, you can select a general contractor and put up a 600+ foot tower atop South Station in 12 months and have a certificate of occupancy by Dec. 31, 2020, no problem!

Proof I'm not making this up can be accessed here.

Boston Magazine, to quote the legendary Walter Sobchak: you're out of your element.

Which one is the Back Bay T tower???

Which one is the Back Bay T tower???

The Back Bay Station redevelopment project... calling it a tower is a bit of a stretch though. It's a bunch of 350-400 ft boxes if I recall.

I feel dirty every time I click on this thread.

i have to agree with that sentiment. btw nicely done pulling up the slack in my absence on the Fenway Park thread in the Globe yesterday. That badly needed to be said. GD building would have risen (like) 1700 feet from Home Plate. If that wasn't bad enough, they have all low-rise planned for Lansdowne Street, and could give a rats ass about the housing shortage.

The Back Bay Station redevelopment project... calling it a tower is a bit of a stretch though. It's a bunch of 350-400 ft boxes if I recall.

Most of the Back Bay buildings are 350-400. Its just Pru, Hancock, and 1 Dalton that are true skyscrapers. And I guess 111 Huntington.

If that design is built, I hope there are swaths of polished brass and green or pink marble in the lobby. Also, all the workers need to wear suits with big shoulder pads.

If that design is built, I hope there are swaths of polished brass and green or pink marble in the lobby. Also, all the workers need to wear suits with big shoulder pads.

LOL, and show reruns of Dallas and Dynasty on big screens in the lobby.

i especially appreciate the offset spire/antenna and inward lean toward the (then-planned 1100')
Winthrop Square peak, and de-emphasizing the abrupt end to the skyline.
Was the architect offering something of a bow before Winthrop Square?
Wasn't the support structure pushing past 850'
Would have been incredible.

....and we'll ALL be shytting a collective diamond if this ever goes u/c.

Wow. Big news. Has agreement finally been reached with MassDOT? When is construction expected to begin?

Back