South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

You people are fucking ridiculous sometimes. Are we now in the let's decide what should be tall / not tall phase of aB based on it's appearance from 10 miles outside the city?

Agree 100%. Plus if the Kneeland St development and any of the Mass pike air rights parcels are built this tower will fit beautifully into the skyline.

Read the FAA report which is fairly recent (Feb 1, 2016). Sounds like things are moving in the background on this one. It also seems that it is height maxed out at 677 feet.

From Page 1 the FAA determination letter:

You people are fucking ridiculous sometimes. Are we now in the let's decide what should be tall / not tall phase of aB based on it's appearance from 10 miles outside the city?

True.

975,000 sq ft is a lot for a spec tower. They must have a lead tenant if they are ready to build. Hope it's Bank of America.

975,000 sq ft is a lot for a spec tower. They must have a lead tenant if they are ready to build. Hope it's Bank of America.

First company that came to mind was BOA as well. With all the backlash against the new legislation passed it would not surprise me that they were looking to at least threaten to jump ship.

First company that came to mind was BOA as well. With all the backlash against the new legislation passed it would not surprise me that they were looking to at least threaten to jump ship.

^Are you suggesting they may move from Charlotte to Boston?

Last edited:

Rumor also being pushed b/c of the North Carolina potty law they just enacted, from what I've been reading online.

Plus, CEO Brian Moynihan apparently lives in Boston?

http://www.fool.com/investing/gener...ank-of-america-corps-ceo-live-1700-miles.aspx

And, I don't think last year's rumors were the first discussion about moving BofA to Boston. I seem to remember - but can't find anywhere - the then-CEO of Bank of America offering to move the NationsBank headquarters to Boston when BofA bought FleetBoston, back in 2004, if it would ease the approval.

Last edited:

Assuming that there is at least some truth to the rumors, moving now would be the best thing for their brand and public perception of the company. It's a lot easier to spin "major bank moves due to commitment to inclusion and socially progressive values" vs. "major bank leaves long time home, to push profits and further growth". Or however people want to spin it.

Assuming that there is at least some truth to the rumors, moving now would be the best thing for their brand and public perception of the company. It's a lot easier to spin "major bank moves due to commitment to inclusion and socially progressive values" vs. "major bank leaves long time home, to push profits and further growth". Or however people want to spin it.

It might be good brand perception for educated Yankees however the rednecks down south might see it a little differently. The majority of people in those states did vote for the bigots that enacted this law.

All political ramblings aside South Station's status as a new headquarters for Bank of America is just speculation at this point.

I'm not interested in bending over backwards to give some huge multinational corporation ridiculous tax breaks a la GE.

I'd have no problem being wrong about this, but let's pump the brakes on BoA. The patient zero for that "rumor" was an analyst quoted in this Marketwatch article in 2014:

http://blogs.marketwatch.com/thetell/2014/08/20/bank-of-america-may-relocate-hq-to-boston-bove/

He had some insight about the executives, but nothing else. This article has more:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/charlotte-new-york-boston-just-where-is-bank-of-americas-home-1446719400

BoA currently has 15,000 headcount in Charlotte, 10,000 in NY, and 2,000 in Boston. Most of the top dogs are already in NY (very few seem to be in Charlotte, actually), with the CEO here.

Even if BoA were to abandon the telecommuting approach (at the behest of shareholders), I'd be surprised to see enough jobs move to Boston to fill SST, anyway. If the HQ were to "move" here, it might look like GE - only the top execs, perhaps into reconfigured space in 100 Federal.

I think the fact that the CEO lives here is not a very compelling case for moving a multi-billion dollar company. CEOs come and go at the discretion of the board.
It would be nice to see BOA HQ'd here for the prestige, jobs, etc., but Charlotte remains a relatively good choice--good international flights (hub of an international carrier unlike BOS), lower cost of living, other financial heavyweights around, Research Triangle down the road and Atlanta down the other road...

The BoA HQ building in Charlotte has 1.4 million square feet of 'floor area' There are other tenants besides BoA.

Its likely fully depreciated at this point.

Coca-Cola, Home Depot, and Delta Airlines oppose it. Michael Dell, Richard Branson, and Jack Dorsey have all spoken out against it. SalesForce CEO Mark Benioff, who has 16,000 employees in Georgia, has warned he’ll pull as much of his business as possible out of the state, tweeting last week:
“Once again Georgia is trying to pass laws that make it legal to discriminate. When will this insanity end?”
http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/22/nfl-wants-to-sack-anti-gay-bill-in-georgia.html

Id imagine if this was approved in february that we would have heard something about bofa moving their headquarters by now.

I remember awhile back there had been a news article saying the developer might switch from office to residential. Is it possible that is what has been decided and if so wouldn't that require a new city approval that has not been given? Or if that isn't the case how unlikely is it that this is being built spec without a major tenant lined up? I know in some other cities especially southern ones that is more common but how often does that happen with a building this size?

1 Lincoln Street was built on spec. before State Street signed their lease.

I do wonder if Tufts University still has ties to this project?
There is an interesting opinion piece in the "Tufts Daily" which includes some info on this project.
The piece is called: "Bridge the gap: Joint development", from the Tufts Daily,Mar.2,2016 edition. (3rd paragraph) (Sorry, you'll have to google it, I tried, but can't figure out how to post attachments to these AB replies.)
.......I remember Tufts was involved with this somehow, but I didn't realize they actually had plans to make the tower the centerpiece of an R+D facility to attract greater pharmaceutical interest to Boston way back then. The article sort of alludes to the fact that Tufts may still have a controlling interest in this project as well. (?) Or perhaps they sold the interest to Hines. (?)

Last edited:

I think the fact that the CEO lives here is not a very compelling case for moving a multi-billion dollar company. CEOs come and go at the discretion of the board.
It would be nice to see BOA HQ'd here for the prestige, jobs, etc., but Charlotte remains a relatively good choice--good international flights (hub of an international carrier unlike BOS), lower cost of living, other financial heavyweights around, Research Triangle down the road and Atlanta down the other road...

You can nuke Boston? no. can you nuke Charlotte? maybe. :rolleyes:

Hey, great time for BofA to move here, now that they're divested of the BKB building (when did they actually sell it?).

Back