South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower

^^^^^^
This rendering feels like futuristic corporate robot America and takes the Character out of Boston.

I'm not crazy about this ground level rendering. Hopefully I'm wrong.

Nope. This is good stuff.

I am not sure what more you could be asking for for essentially a replacement of the train shed that is there now?

cca

^^^^^^
This rendering feels like futuristic corporate robot America and takes the Character out of Boston.

I respectfully disagree, as well. The columns are well hidden and integrated with the adjacent station entrance. I remember at an earlier community meeting, Hines said that it wanted the atrium/rotunda to resemble Rowes Wharf. I think that it looks, from the rendering anyway, like a good modern representation. Better than concrete columns encased in some cheap material and a flat ceiling.

8434802562_94e860c40d_b.jpg

Last edited:

The article has an image I hadn't seen before that I figured was worth sharing
58c08b822e8cd_4_Train_Station_Platform_Area_0.jpeg

It's like the train station in Westworld! Love! Although...it didn't end too well for them (or we'll have to wait 'til 2018 and see)

I'm a fan of the vaulted ceiling thing.

I think it is intended to evoke the former glass trainsheds that once existed above South Station and Penn Station. I like it.

^^^^^^

While I think a city with such historical roots should be tinkered with only with extreme care, I like the contrast of walking across the green way from the gleaming high-rises of the financial district to the old, quaint, north end. That mixing of worlds is what makes Boston great.

Would that stick out in front of the station at the corner of Summer and Atlantic? Would the building be built on top of it? I like it a lot. South Station is so meh.

Would that stick out in front of the station at the corner of Summer and Atlantic? Would the building be built on top of it? I like it a lot. South Station is so meh.

It's behind the historic station at the foot of the tracks. Between the waiting room and the tower.

That article says it's 690'. I was under the impression that it was 677'.

Does that mean our buildings will get shorter as sea levels rise?

Buildings are measured from ground level. Otherwise all of the tallest buildings in the country would be in Denver.

The Metlife Tower? I heard it was supposed to go 100 stories but couldn't because of the depression.

Yes, it would have been a masterpiece:

met-life-building.jpg

souvenir-building-replica-met-life-proposed-1024.jpg

Supposedly it was built to support all those additional floors and still could too. The money just dried up.

Umm check the dates on the Pan Am building. :)

btw, when it was completed it was the 7th tallest building in the world.

and possibly the ugliest.

There are a gazillion Metlife Buildings. You must be thinking of the new one.

The one I'm thinking of was built in the '20s.

Yes, it would have been a masterpiece:

met-life-building.jpg

souvenir-building-replica-met-life-proposed-1024.jpg

Supposedly it was built to support all those additional floors and still could too. The money just dried up.

Jesus.

I thought it was the other one that was unfinished.

Those are amazing towers. However, I'm happy with the unfinished North Building.

This isn't specifically about the South Station Tower, but I can't think of a better place to post it.

Blackstone is selling their lease on the existing station building:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/busines...ory.html?s_campaign=bdc:article:stub#comments

Lots of upside to that lease once the tower is completed, but a fair amount of construction disruption in the interim, with the possibility that the disrupting interim coincides (partly) with a down cycle. Maybe Blackstone has made enough money on the lease in the decade since they bought Equity Properties, and wants to let someone else take that short-to-midterm risk (and get the long-term upside, too, of course).

Back