South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

That's been posted before ... maybe on the old board because I don't see it in this thread. It's not a new redesign.

That is not the current design of the project. Go to the Hines website or earlier in the thread to see the current design.

dirtywater said:
That is not the current design of the project. Go to the Hines website or earlier in the thread to see the current design.

southstationrenderingni5.jpg

That is the new design. I actually like the new design (this one) rather than the original sword fish looking one.[/img]

BostonSkyGuy said:
Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful.

Pelli at his best. As good as Bank of America (Charlotte) or 2WFC (Hong Kong).

He knows how to do Deco Revival massing so well that he can pull it off in glass. This is the guy who should be hired to finish design on Winthrop Square.

If Raymond Hood were alive today his work would look like this.

Three stars.

I agree, ablarc, the SST is a beautiful skyscraper....when seen from Dewey Square. I don't know if you've seen the renderings of the tower from the Harbor, but unfortunately, when viewed from that angle, it completely changes character. The sleek, graceful SST turns into the squat, fat SST. O well, I'll just have to make sure I only look at it when I'm walking through Dewey Square.

kz1000ps said:

ya from Dewey square it looks absolutely amazing....but from those other angles, it does look fat...
In the end though, these are just renderings, and I am pretty sure that the actual completed building will look great and hopefully not that fat

FWIW, I noticed the other week that at the bottom of the stairs at the Atlantic Ave. entrance to South Station, the sidewalk had been marked off as if they were going to dig a small construction pit. Some preliminary engineering?

If it reflects the light and water like that, I don't mind the seeming girth.

czsz said:
If it reflects the light and water like that, I don't mind the seeming girth.

Yeah, I don't mind it as much as I once did. I don't think it's going to look as bad as it does in the rendering either. The rendering is grainy and looks a little crooked (or is it just me?).

Besides, does anyone get giddy when they think of the city from the harbor? I sure don't.

then click on "new work"

Boston South Station Air Rights Development
Boston, Massachusetts, USA
The 1.2 million square foot mixed use South Station Air Rights Development is designed to complement the historical and architectural context of existing structures, while minimizing the impact of development on the surrounding neighborhood. The tower?s faceted oval form echoes in a contemporary manner, the curve of the main facade of the South Station Headhouse. The tower?s glass skin and top are composed of several layers of varied glass types, designed in collaboration with James Carpenter Designs. The design promises to enhance South Station, create a fitting symbol for Boston?s Financial District and offer a graceful and contemporary addition to the skyline of Boston.

In the rendering from the harbor the roof is slanted, but in the one from Dewey Square it looks flat.

That cleaner rendering on the Cesar-Pelli website looks *MUCH* better than the other rendering posted in this thread earlier. I suddenly don't mind the tower that much anymore.

Does anyone know if SST's top will be lit up at night? It's tough to see from the renderings what the top consists of. Lighting like BoA tower in Charlotte would be nice. Bright, vivid white light (as opposed to blah yellow-ish light a la 2 Intl Place) would add a lot to the skyline at night. Boston's lighting at night is piss-poor compared to other cities.

I definately think that it needs a more distinctive and decorative top. It just sort of... ends.

Haha a hat, sick...
And on the the topic of lighting, it definitely needs to be lit up! They should use wikid vibrant and distinct colors. They need some red or blue or green or something lighting in Boston. I am getting sick of yellow!!! Actually, they should just change the city to the city of lights, and have every building having vivid and exotic colors that dazzle anyone who sees it. Then Boston would have more tourists, and actually be known for something crazier than Red Sox fans. :wink:

^ Charlotte has an ordinance requiring hats (that's a Pelli building in the middle), but Pelli makes a good case for plainness at South Station, imo.

Back