South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I wish this project included a glass roof for South Station, à la the newish atrium at 100 Federal.

The South Station waiting area has a couple rows of skylights but more would be much better, especially with this new platform overbuild blocking out sunlight.

Cutting torches being used on the garage earlier today
6D932E22-F8BE-418C-B2F7-E2EB8C2AB01A.jpeg

Great photos. And in the 'onward and upward' category: foundation work for the tower starts in September (whether that means next week or towards the end).

I love the concept of so much what is happening at South Station, I just wish the they didn't forfeit and punt the tower into being a bland, glass bullet Hines Houston corporate tower.

It's like a pitcher giving up a homerun with 2 outs in the 9th of a no-hitter.

1630952015395.png

^ It will always look like an upraised middle finger to me. Just my warped mind I guess.
Having said that, I'm hoping it will be one of those buildings that ends up looking better when built than it did in the renders.

Agreed. On the potential plus-side, perhaps the 'corporate Houston' look will become 'East Coast cutting-edge cool' in a couple of decades? I know -- that doesn't make a lot of sense, but then again I anticipate that very little about the rest of the 21st century will.

it's got prominent setbacks. boston needs more setbacks. it's not a terrible tower, but that's the best i can say about it.

Turning South Station into a chair rail and wainscoting for a generic tower is disappointing.

Good point. This reminds me of 450 Lexington Ave in New York, which did something similar in the 80s with a similarly nice (though less prominent) old Beaux Arts building.

The tower isn't getting redesigned. Too many things in motion at this point.

Back