South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

I can't wait til this tower starts to rise! Now that State St, Winthrop, and most other taller u/c buildings are topped off, I'm jonesing for a new tall one to watch!

Agreed and appreciate this one. I don't see any new towers exceeding 500' on the horizon.
Yea we've had a great run. There's still tons going up but nothing super impactful to the skyline (I know, there's a lot to be said about street interaction and the role new buildings play in their neighborhood, but I'm just speaking as somewhat of a height fetishist now). I'm hoping that in 5-10 years we'll have another boom (albeit smaller in terms of number of buildings) and then we can get maybe 3 700-1000 footers where possible, and there certainly are developable parcels that can handle that. Maybe they'll be tall, thin residential and/or mixed use instead of offices, but as so many businesses continue moving to the area, they're bringing people, and hopefully by then the regular housing market will level off and high-end stuff will really be back in demand. And who knows, maybe office space will return in a new and innovative way that encourages people to get out of their houses.

Its been a great run of highrises. Now that most of those have been built out Id love to see an equally substantial boom of low rise density fill out the neighborhoods and expand the city further into the suburban parts within 95. If that could be the next phase of development Id be happy with that.

Theres still soooo much empty land and redevelopment opportunities for denssity across the metro that really need to happen in order to make a dent in the housing crisis and I really hope it can pick up a lot of steam. Every commuter rail stop or subway station within the 95 belt should be packed with 4-6 story low rise residential buildings with retail in the base. If this could happen wed be in a pretty good situation going forward.

Theres still soooo much empty land and redevelopment opportunities for denssity across the metro that really need to happen in order to make a dent in the housing crisis and I really hope it can pick up a lot of steam. Every commuter rail stop or subway station within the 95 belt should be packed with 4-6 story low rise residential buildings with retail in the base. If this could happen wed be in a pretty good situation going forward.
And that's where the new mbta zoning will help. I just hope the state gives it enough teeth to make a difference.

Agreed and appreciate this one. I don't see any new towers exceeding 500' on the horizon.

IF there's a sale of the Post Office and land, as it moves South along the water aren't there parcels there that could house an array of talls? I can't remember the height restrictions but maybe it could become a new 'high'ish spine.

IF there's a sale of the Post Office and land, as it moves South along the water aren't there parcels there that could house an array of talls? I can't remember the height restrictions but maybe it could become a new 'high'ish spine.

No, I believe that parcel is in the 300' zone imposed by the FAA. SST is literally right on the edge, according to this map anyway.
from: https://www.massport.com/media/mplj0snm/bostonairspacemap_9-8.pdf

1663421998146.png

Wait did i miss something new and/or big?!?!? Wasn't this project started before Wu became Mayor?? What's changed?!?!..

"...Hines had initially planned a hotel for the project’s next phase, but is reconsidering that, looking to possibly include life-science lab space or apartments instead. The second phase would start before work wraps on the office and condo tower in 2025, Perry said."

Hundreds of places to build a lab, but just one South Station. Seems like bad math (except for the Hines Corp's bottom line). I'm hoping that apartments, which could contribute to downtown being more than a 9-5 destination, will prevail.

VC7N64MFVXCBWMDOITP4IIICZU.jpg

^^^Image from the Globe.

I had thought Salesforce was supposed to be the tenant for the tower office space, but the Globe article says that no tenant has signed up for the office space.
They were rumored to be and have a history with Hines (https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...-expected-to-launch-south-station-tower-98197) but it was never finalized as far as I know. They cancelled a huge lease in an unbuilt tower in SF last year and I believe they're expecting more than 50% of their employees to continue working remote or hybrid going forward. They could still be very interested in this site, but I'd be curious to see the amount of space they're now targeting.

They were rumored to be and have a history with Hines (https://www.bisnow.com/boston/news/...-expected-to-launch-south-station-tower-98197) but it was never finalized as far as I know. They cancelled a huge lease in an unbuilt tower in SF last year and I believe they're expecting more than 50% of their employees to continue working remote or hybrid going forward. They could still be very interested in this site, but I'd be curious to see the amount of space they're now targeting.

Yeah, afiak before the pandemic they had a decent force in Boston spread over various weworks/etc. If they maintain that here, it might still make sense for them to try to consolidate into their own office.

Instead of having a couple shorter buildings in the next phases, they should build 2 additional 600' residential/hotel towers along with the main tower. Why waste the location?

Back