South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

That looks like the head house in the upper left, so it's probably looking down on the bus station expansion and tracks.

I remain unhappy with offices lacking walls and doors. I know LEED standards basically make them verboten, but the utter lack of private workspace in an office is awful.

Has anybody posted this landscaping render yet? I'm not even sure what I'm looking at.

View attachment 44895

The view out the window.

View attachment 44896

Here is another angle. The green space on top of the bus station.

That guy looking out the window is contenplating "do I go to the compition even though I signed a NDA and non-compete and risk getting sued or do I just continue taking shit from my boss?"

Untitled.png

Last edited:
Undoubtably I'm missing something super obvious, but can someone enlighten me as to what's noteworthy about tracks 4 and 5 in the above pix? Genuine request, zero snark -- I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing that's out of the ordinary or new.

The still-wrapped-in-plastic countdown clock?

Undoubtably I'm missing something super obvious, but can someone enlighten me as to what's noteworthy about tracks 4 and 5 in the above pix? Genuine request, zero snark -- I don't know what I'm supposed to be seeing that's out of the ordinary or new.

The still-wrapped-in-plastic countdown clock?
The lighting is dramatically improved, especially in person.

Hopefully they’ll install some kind of metal paneling once the all equipment has been installed, would be shame to leave that open. It’s concerning that there haven’t been any renderings released.

Hopefully they’ll install some kind of metal paneling once the all equipment has been installed, would be shame to leave that open. It’s concerning that there haven’t been any renderings released.
It's concerning? Why?

It's concerning? Why?
It implies that the finished product could be nothing to be proud of (as barebones as possible). It’s interesting that there are interior images of the bus terminal, but nothing for the platforms. I hope I’m wrong.

It implies that the finished product could be nothing to be proud of (as barebones as possible). It’s interesting that there are interior images of the bus terminal, but nothing for the platforms. I hope I’m wrong.

While not a render, :30(ish) to :38 shows the fully enclosed platform area having an equally "enclosed" ceiling. Whether that'll be cheap weatherproof drop-panels (doubt it) or something more elegant (bet on it), it won't be exposed cables, wires, etc.

While not a render, :30(ish) to :38 shows the fully enclosed platform area having an equally "enclosed" ceiling. Whether that'll be cheap weatherproof drop-panels (doubt it) or something more elegant (bet on it), it won't be exposed cables, wires, etc.
Ehh I'm going to disagree with you on this one. I would contend and expect that the arched concourse is the only place where Hines has spent money on making it pretty. Keep in mind all the renders show new doors on the far side of the arches from the existing South Station headhouse - it's going to be a discontinous space.

The development agreement only specified lighting, security fire and life safety improvements in rail yard and platform areas. Otherwise, it's providing a weather protected environment, which the overbuild of the bus terminal expansion has done. Looking at what was there as of a couple of weeks ago, I see no provisions for installing a ceiling, and the PA speakers (which I'm pretty sure are those black downward square cone things), exit signs, and the platform clock all looked to be in their final positions, well above the line of the light fixtures. Plus, they've extended this lighting through the existing bus station, but left that ceiling treatment fully intact above it. I'd love to be proven wrong, but I think we're looking at the final product here. As a pass through space, I'm not too mad about it - the lighting itself is a big upgrade, and I'd rather have the open space above me than the Penn esque closed in feel.

It would be interesting to know what the ceiling heights of Penn vs South Station are. I suspect that South Station might be a bit higher. IMO it would be a shame this were left completely open. Yes it is a pass-through space, though essentially all transportation facilities are as well, depending on how one wants to define that. Given its function as gateway to the city and how many people pass through here, it would be a disservice to the public if only the bare minimum were accepted. If this were an airport facility, there’s no question that aesthetics would be a consideration. Not expecting an architectural masterpiece of course, but it should be made more appealing than a basement or parking garage.

Last edited:
I might be the only one that doesn't mind the more industrial open ceiling, but maybe I have been conditioned to find it normal now with the last decade+ trend of open ceiling offices.

If I had to guess, I would expect it to be left open. The locomotives of the commuter rail would make any finished product nearly impossible to maintain other than black soot, so essentially we would get the same thing but on a flat surface rather than utility looking. I don't think they should spend the money on a ceiling in a train shed. I would rather they put the money into the arched areas and the building itself.

Back