South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

The more I see this building go up between the design and the actual glass panels going up, it feels like a building designed and built 30 years ago that was put into storage and is being brought out and dusted off. Maybe because I have not seen it in person?

The more I see this building go up between the design and the actual glass panels going up, it feels like a building designed and built 30 years ago that was put into storage and is being brought out and dusted off. Maybe because I have not seen it in person?

Compared to other buildings I have seen in person, the panels most closely resemble 4 WTC in NYC. I could see it looking 10-15 years dated, but it's well beyond Pomo and I don't see that resemblance at all. The top section will also look a bit different since it changes to residential, and I don't think office/residential mixed-use were a big thing 30 years ago. It's still too soon to tell exactly how it will read in the skyline as a whole, but the mirrored glass is high quality and its appearance is less wide than I had initially feared.

It's too soon to judge either way since the residential component hasn't started yet. However, you should actually see it in person before making any final proclamations.

dunno.
I've seen it in person and I'm with you on the panels. Would have been nice if they were curved on the middle front facing section.
Might turn out ok but not inspiring much in me at the moment.

Who profited from the air rights/ ground lease (“the deal” with South Stations owners) and is the money long gone?
The BPDA (then BRA) owned the air rights and signed the Land Disposition Agreement with the developers on March 21, 2007. I can't find a copy of it to see when the money was set to change hands and if it was very much. All the more recent filings only explicitly reference the increased tax revenue the city will receive and the transit center improvements the MBTA will receive.

I mean thats essentially what it is. Its not 30 years, but the tower was originally supposed to break ground in 2008. The air rights were first acquired in 1991. The non spired version of the tower first came about in 2006, which is essentially the exact same tower were getting now only they slimmed down the top half and changed it to residential.

2006 proposal
1704515816219.jpeg

Current tower
1704515943686.jpeg

They basically just removed the second set back and called it a day.

(The 2006 version was the superior tower imo, the set back proportions were timeless).

Does anyone know when this will resume going vertical? I thought it was supposed to resume sometime in mid-December.
From DZ's last photo, it looks like the core has started going vertical again, so the floors will follow after a few levels of core construction.

I found a site specifically for the residences and believe there's some new renders here. The pics are a weird format so I had to use "snipping tool" and then paste the screenshots in here. I apologize for any reposts, but I'm positive the first and last pics haven't been posted here before. (well, 90% on the last but 100% positive on the first one)

1704918785392.png

1704918816548.png

1704918861603.png

1704918886466.png

cool, but also kinda silly: 1 Financial would absolutely have a prominent presence in this shot, diminishing the soaring and airy nature of SST as pictured in this render.

It's hard to tell how accurate this angle is as the tower isn't far enough along. However, I feel like The Fed would stand out even more than 1 Financial, which is a bit further to the left and might even be just left of that visible intersection. However, The Fed should be almost nestled up against it from this angle.

1704996957164.png

It's hard to tell how accurate this angle is as the tower isn't far enough along. However, I feel like The Fed would stand out even more than 1 Financial, which is a bit further to the left and might even be just left of that visible intersection. However, The Fed should be almost nestled up against it from this angle.

View attachment 46717
I believe that intersection is High St. and Summer St., with 175 Federal next to it.
Picture1.png

Which would put 1 Financial in front of it and definitely in the shot, as well as the Fed building. So, less of a cloud layer and more of a selective building-eating mist...

Really hate what you guys on this site are turning me into. : )

Anyone know when the topmost part of the tower will be done? :unsure:

cool, but also kinda silly: 1 Financial would absolutely have a prominent presence in this shot, diminishing the soaring and airy nature of SST as pictured in this render.
Y'all need to go let God love you somewhere else if you can't tell the difference between GCI marketing imagery and 'real life'! :ROFLMAO:

Back