South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown

Re: South Station Tower - Full Steam Ahead!

Unless it's a failure, I completely disagree with you. I've been on several planes that fly directly over the skyline..... They are EASILY 1000-2000 ft above the skyline, modestly. I've seen hundreds of planes fly over South Boston and Columbia Point. Personally, I think your smoking crack... FAA wouldnt allow that flight pattern if they were really flying that low

Type001 - Sorry, you're just really, really wrong. That doesn't happen.

I work downtown. I live in Southie. I fly OFTEN. That doesn't happen.

A 1000' building would be fine downtown. Trust me - if a plane hits it, its because it has some other MAJOR issues going on (terrorism, flock of birds, major mechanical failure, etc.).

Type001,

I don't mean to be the guy jumping on the pile here, but you are incorrect in your staunch assertion that mainline commercial airliners fly over the financial district at a height of 950-1000'.

I take off from Logan about 100 times per year. (A) The flight path from Logan (using runway 9-27) heading most towards downtown Boston actually takes the jets just to the south of the financial district (we fly over South Boston and, depending on the destination, next either Roxbury or Dorchester). (B) While it does appear that they are extremely close to the tops of the buildings (I have been in the vicinity of Dewey Square--on foot--and witnessed this), the planes are, in fact, several hundred feet higher than the tallest of the buildings in the area.

Type001, I'm going to go with my original interpretation of what you said. I thought you meant that planes SEEM to fly really low here, and it's surreal because it FEELS like they are flying between the buildings...but there's no way they actually do. It's an illusion because you've no landmarks between the tops of the buildings and the planes, so there doesn't appear to be any space. Same with clouds and the like. It happens on the ocean a lot, you'll see things that look a lot closer than they actually are.

Everybody pig pile on Type001!!

There's a pile forming here, but it's not made of pig.

T-one was just using hyperbolic art words, you know, if you get wasted, put your boat under the approach, it is unbelievable, put on a bootleg version of the Beach Boys "Smile" on your ipod and over and over the crow flies over the cornfield.

So, if its early 2009, construction should start in a few weeks-month or two.

Of course, that will never happen unfortunately....

Obviously not, this tower is never going to get built...this sucker was supposed to be finished in 2004. You're right though, it is unfortunate.

Actually, a prior attempt was made during the late 80s. That rendering may have been posted waaaaay back in this thread. May have had a proposal previous to the 80s, too.

I believe the FAA height limits are set based on the rate of climb under a one engine out scenario, and during which there may be some deviation from the normal flight path, so you get more of a fan to either side of the normal heading.

Geez, pig pile is right. I shared a large 9 story corner office at 133 Federal until June of 2008 with 3 other people. On windy days, we swore that planes were flying at 1000ft closely behind the Fed and 1 Financial. You had to see it from our office. You would be convinced yourself.

Oh, and SST along with any other building over 600 ft is never getting built in this city again in any of our lifetimes, so it really doesn't matter.

Actually, a prior attempt was made during the late 80s. That rendering may have been posted waaaaay back in this thread. May have had a proposal previous to the 80s, too.
Is this the one your refering to?
xcranes465.jpg

I'm not familiar with the history of South Station ... When was the bus terminal completed? Sometime in the 90's it looks like? Was the restoration of the original terminal part of the same project?

Not sure if they done together but the above proposal was from 1984,I think the bus terminal was completed in the ninties? and then this proposal was floated around for years
4023south_station_tower-thumb.jpg

South Station (Amtrak/commuter rail) was restored in the late 1980s; the new bus station came soon thereafter in the 90s. The bus station has become so popular that it is now full, and needs to be expanded. That expansion was supposed to be part of the South Station Tower project.

That's the tower I was thinking of. I like how it comes to a point, something unique in a skyline with too many flat tops. Hopefully they will return to a crown like this if this every gets done at all.

Nope not that one either,when and if this gets built this is whats planned!
bra8kl6.jpg

It's better than the curved one...but only slightly. Proposal gets a 3/10.

Back