South Station Tower | South Station | Downtown

stick n move

Reaction score
HUGE EXPANSION of information on the project!!
There are now several linked websites

with:
  1. Renderings of the Tower & Bus Station
  2. Videos of walk-throughs from different perspectives
  3. Construction schedules, diagrams and an animated construction video
Lot's more material to be digested and ruminated over -- and over -- over the next approximately 5 years

One take-away -- the foundation work looks to be quite intensive but limited to just a few places
2nd take-away -- Tower itself doesn't start to rise until mid 2022
3rd Takeaway -- whole thing should be done mid 2024

Wow, thanks!

odurandina

Reaction score
Globe issues dire warnings
of the end of the world as we know it:

To be fair; this is going to be complete insanity. Tens of thousands of angry people are going to want
State officials' heads. If that isn't enough, imagine if they'd gone forward with all the Air Rights parcels near Mass Ave. People would be railing at lawmakers that it's (truly) the end of Boston.....

Last edited:

Norval Elliot

Reaction score
To be fair; this is going to be complete insanity. Tens of thousands of angry people are going to want State officials' heads.
Imagine, for a moment, the difficulties of razing New York's Penn Station, erecting 2 Penn Plaza and Madison Square Garden, and still maintaining "normal" passenger rail service. If that could be done in the 1960s, the South Station project shouldn't represent the end of the world today.

ErnieAdams

Reaction score
This news is a very pleasant surprise. Everything I had heard about the relocated cab stand and the Atlantic Ave. staging area made me think they were closing the direct access from Atlantic to the platforms. Between that path remaining open and the new path to Fort Point, this really seems like it can work for people in the day-to-day.

whighlander

Reaction score
View attachment 2656

Just to start what will be a long multi-year thread of construction photos, here's the platform area today as a reference point for future
HelloBoston -- Perfect --- we can use your platform-centric ref-photo to compare actual progress to the station drawings and the construction animation which I quoted above from the project websites

citydweller

Reaction score
HelloBoston -- Perfect --- we can use your platform-centric ref-photo to compare actual progress to the station drawings and the construction animation which I quoted above from the project websites
Hopeful that there will be a web cam or two. I'm stoked to watch this one as construction progresses.

ulrichomega

Reaction score
I can't watch with audio right now, but the construction progress video confuses me. It looks like they're shortening a few platforms? Are they eliminating the current station lobby and moving it into the newly-shortened-platform area?

Equilibria

Reaction score
Just to start what will be a long multi-year thread of construction photos, here's the platform area today as a reference point for future
14 years in, this thread will finally have construction photos... and this wasn't even the first thread.

We easily could debate this, but should this thread be called "South Station Air Rights"? That's what they call the project, and presumably we'll also be discussing the bus station and other two towers here.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
This news is a very pleasant surprise. Everything I had heard about the relocated cab stand and the Atlantic Ave. staging area made me think they were closing the direct access from Atlantic to the platforms. Between that path remaining open and the new path to Fort Point, this really seems like it can work for people in the day-to-day.
The video really helps me to "see" how the whole project will work, and I completely agree -- it will not be so disruptive as I had expected.

odurandina

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 8 massive columns will support some type of deck or truss--
or if the Arches are also part of the superstructure,
(contributing to/ supporting some type of deck or truss)??

MjolnirMan

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 8 massive columns will support some type of deck or truss--
or if the Arches are also part of the superstructure,
(contributing to/ supporting some type of deck or truss)??
In the Construction Sequence video, at around 0:55, it labels the "Tower Super Columns / Transfer Truss" attached to the tower foundations.

odurandina

Reaction score
^^Oh yeah, i didn't notice that in the first viewing/s.
The truss component is truly enormous.

Last edited:

Arlington

Staff member
Reaction score
So how much of what was going to be "South Station Expansion" is actually going to get built (instead?) as Bus Station Expansion?

meddlepal

Reaction score
So the front of tower is actually cantilevered over the South Station waiting area? That's impressive and explains how they plan to do this without disruption to the waiting area.

stefal

Reaction score
It's actually impressive they'll be decking over the entire station in a matter of 5 months. What's less impressive is that it will take 7 months for prep before a piece of steel rises. We're talking a year from now before the deck is completed in that case. Another year after that before the tower begins. Hopefully financing/tenants are fully secured and guaranteed.

guitarguynboston

Reaction score
People all over Twitter are freaking out about whether this will disrupt the trains. Someone doing the project and/or the MBTA needs to publicly announce that there won't be many if/and only minor changes to the flow of the station and trains.

HenryAlan

Reaction score
People all over Twitter are freaking out about whether this will disrupt the trains. Someone doing the project and/or the MBTA needs to publicly announce that there won't be many if/and only minor changes to the flow of the station and trains.
Yeah, seeing this all over Facebook, too, along with transit oriented specialty sites (eg Railroad.net). The information is readily available, but nobody is reading it, skipping straight to panic mode instead.

stick n move

Reaction score
Yeah, seeing this all over Facebook, too, along with transit oriented specialty sites (eg Railroad.net). The information is readily available, but nobody is reading it, skipping straight to panic mode instead.
Welcome to every single comment section of anything anywhere in the 21st century lol. No1 reads shit or cares what the answers or truth is they just operate 100% off of bias, take automatic positions, and always go negative 100% of the time regardless of truth or contrary information. The truth doesnt matter when youre going to get mad and complain anyways.