Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

P

pharmerdave

Spaulding rehab hospital is planning to leave its Nashua Street address for the Charlestown waterfront. Plans include Building a new 240,000 sf main campus at the end of Sixteenth Street in the shadows of the Tobin bridge. The building will occupy more than half of the 3 acre site and will soar 110' into the sky. This development leaves open the possibility for the redevelopment of Spaulding's current campus on Causeway Street near the TD Banknorth Garden.

The ENF for this new project is located here:
http://www.mass.gov/envir/mepa/pdffiles/enfs/082306em/13861.pdf

pharmerdave said:
soar 110' into the sky.

Oh for the love of god! :x

This sounds great though. I can see it now, CONDOS RIGHT ON THE NEW CHARLES RIVER PARK NEXT TO NORTH STATION!!!

I miss the old Registry... I don't miss going to the old Registry but the building was pretty cool.

I thought it was ramshackle and dilapidated; I'm not sorry to see it go.

And the Nashua Street Jail should be converted to a hotel, like its predecessor on Charles Street.

Ron Newman said:
I thought it was ramshackle and dilapidated; I'm not sorry to see it go.

And the Nashua Street Jail should be converted to a hotel, like its predecessor on Charles Street.

The building was torn down exclusively for the benefit of a Big Dig ramp just like they wanted to do with the Spaulding Rehab. The wooden/ plaster interior of the Registry was tired but the stone exterior (like Charles Street) could easily have lasted hundreds of years.

Okay, convert Nashua Street to a hotel... but where in the mere 48 sq miles of Boston Proper do we build a new one? It is obvious when they built that jail they didn't think the Charles River would become as clean, as fast, so where is the cheap land and lack of neighborhood opposition to build a jail in Boston today?

Besides, that jail is more attractive than any of the souless boxes they plan on building near North Station. I hope they didn't actually need to pay a professional for those designs.

The jail should be merged with the Suffolk County House of Correction which already exists in South Bay. I see no need for two separate facilities, especially when one is on prime riverfront land.

If they proposed instead building a Middlesex County HOC at Assembly Square or Union Square would you support that? There is plenty of vacant land and I can't possibly imagine that land being used for any future development. :roll:

They are already building a womans facility in South Bay. Building a jail would be on land that will hopefully be used by tech companies or is currently used by businesses that pay taxes. Besides, people would not be willing to pay millions of dollars in tax money to tear down and rebuild a new jail so they can build luxury condos in North Station.

That is not being too realistic, Ron.

Scott said:
Besides, that jail is more attractive than any of the souless boxes they plan on building near North Station.
I've thought that that jail is one of the nicest buildings in the area for a while too, plus it has a nice new park right at it's front steps. I wouldn't be surpirised of some developer sets his eyes on the site, gets a new jail built, but then terars down the jail and builds a piece of crap there.

anyone else heard that Mass General is considering taking over the space currently used by Spaulding for their own rehab facility?

Spaulding and MGH are both part of Partners Healthcare, so that wouldn't make much sense.

thread back from the dead

Spaulding continues with plans to move to Navy Yard by Patriot-Bridge Staff

CAPTION: An artist?s rendering of the Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital facility proposed for Parcel 6 in the Navy Yard.

Staff members of Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital met with the Charlestown Neighborhood Council (CNC) on March 18 to discuss its planned move to Parcel 6 in the Navy Yard.
According to David E. Storto, president of Spaulding Rehabilitation and Partners Continuing Care, the physical envelope of the building remains unchanged, but the programming within its interior has. The previous plan called for 150 adult beds, which has been reduced to 120, with the addition of a pediatric unit of 10-15 beds. The research space has also been increased from 6,000 square feet to 8,000.
Spaulding is in the process of gathering all the information it needs for the various city and state filings, such as an Institutional Master Plan, Draft Environmental Impact Report, and others. These documents could be ready within the next few weeks, and Spaulding is looking to get copies out to the public, have them reviewed, and receive input. As such, they are requesting a follow-up meeting with the CNC in four to six weeks. A signup sheet was circulated at the meeting for people who want to receive documents. Additionally, Partners will look into making the documents available electronically and getting a set to the library.
John Messervey of Partners pointed out that the development team is authorized to complete the design and get the filings together. They will require formal approval for construction, which he envisions will be in October. Whether Partners will authorize construction depends on its financial situation, considering the current economic conditions.
In addition to all the filings, Partners must go through a Chapter 21E and federal process as the site has some hazardous materials, including PCBs. It was suggested that a technical assistance person be assigned to work with the community on air quality issues and review the cleanup documents.
If things go optimally and construction is approved, Partners envisions commencing repair of the seawall and beginning site cleanup towards the end of 2009. This will take approximately six months and full construction would commence in mid-2010, with a completion date of 2012.
At the meeting, Partners also voiced its commitment to ongoing dialogue during the design and construction process.

http://www.charlestownbridge.com/#ST4291

Spaulding and MGH are both part of Partners Healthcare, so that wouldn't make much sense.

And the MBTA wants the building gone. Let's not forget North Station was rebuilt with the hospital's relocation and demolition in mind. There are two unused tracks waiting to be connected to the main line, and the only way to do that is to remove the hospital.

Spaulding-Image.jpg

Not an unpleasant looking building, designed in the currently popular retro-1950's look.

If they proposed instead building a Middlesex County HOC at Assembly Square or Union Square would you support that? There is plenty of vacant land and I can't possibly imagine that land being used for any future development. :roll:

They are already building a womans facility in South Bay. Building a jail would be on land that will hopefully be used by tech companies or is currently used by businesses that pay taxes. Besides, people would not be willing to pay millions of dollars in tax money to tear down and rebuild a new jail so they can build luxury condos in North Station.

That is not being too realistic, Ron.

I don't know how much building a prison costs, but wouldn't selling the land cover much of this?

The Navy Yard's had a lot of problems filling up, commercially as well as residentially. There're a ton of condos sitting vacant right now. Hopefully, Spaulding will move in, condos will be purchased, and businesses will follow, because that area's a little underutilized right now in my opinion.

Back