Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

Am I the only one who thinks that the state should eminent domain all but 60' or so along Nashua Street? South Station is a really good case study on not keeping land for terminal tracks you may one day need.

I work at MGH and it does not sound like this building is just for temporary use. Even though the MGH campus is huge everybody is always competing for valuable space. They want to move all services that do not necessarily have to be located at the main campus such as IS, administrative offices, etc. They can also consolidate offices that are away from the main campus such as payroll. That way the main campus can focus on space for patient care and those who need to be close to patients.

All I know is that it's a wasted opportunity...a really decent location going to waste.

This was an internal Partners deal between Spaulding and MGH over a decade ago. Let it play out. Might take ten or fifteen years, but it will likely go to the state before too long. Either ED or some sort of land deal with MGH. DOT will do what they have to do with the draws and additional tracks into North Station, and they'll sell the rest to a private developer (or right back to Partners).

Let's complain about the county jail instead...

Yes, this is not going be temporary in the sense of a year or two, but there is also no way they'll keep this for THAT long. I would guess they retain it for about the next decade before seeking to ditch.

I am very curious to see what the renovations will end up looking like. I would imagine that the building will get a sense of new life.

North Station needs Drawbridge #3 brought back before it needs the platform space. There's still 2 unused platforms there; it's the 4 tracks over the bridges that are the capacity limiter. Any which way, though, gets ex-Spaulding all blowed up.
I know in the long run you've got to blow about 2 to 4 tracks-worth of Spaulding , but how true is that in the short run?

Seems like there'd be two cheaper, near-term solutions:

- Put the new draw span on the Track 1 (downstream/Charlestown) side, rather than on Spaulding's upstream side. Isn't Tower A fully obsolete and already T-owned? Blow up Tower A, add the capacity on the Track 1 side, and re-align the current bridges to serve the higher tracks better.

- Put the new draw span on the Track 10 (upstream/Spaulding) side, but re-align the tracks to still pinch by Spaulding. You might only get 5 usable tracks (not 6) , but that's a 20% increase. The new span's single track might only serve track 8 and higher (Mostly Amtrak)

So I checked out the BAC's 2015 thesis exhibition yesterday (highly recommend you all go) and found someone that did an addition to Spaulding as their project. Turned out beautiful. Probably one of, if not, the best in the show...

11717410_10204533684722231_3180300692010469031_o.jpg

11012428_10204533688642329_527475872067352548_o.jpg

11143190_10204533689562352_1399925711613236699_o.jpg

Someone likes the Polaroid Building on Mem Drive...

Please tell me this is a student project on a hypothetical site.

cca

Please tell me this is a student project on a hypothetical site.

cca

???

So I checked out the BAC's 2015 thesis exhibition yesterday (highly recommend you all go) and found someone that did an addition to Spaulding as their project.

Dude! ... I dont have time to read every post ... Jeez :)

cca

Ps. You have to give me credit for just "knowing" this is student level work, right?

that WOULD be an interesting project if carried out... wouldnt it obstruct the path of the ships that go by that area though?

Last edited:

Back