Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

That was rather quick. So aside from probably seeing some new tracks to North Station, what else is slated to fill the space left by the hospital?

That was rather quick. So aside from probably seeing some new tracks to North Station, what else is slated to fill the space left by the hospital?

Hopefully nothing big. They better leave room for a 3rd bridge and a couple more additional tracks. Not that they have to build that right away, but keep the option open dammit.

today from Fan Pier
036-3.jpg
029.jpg
025-1.jpg
could'nt see any above ground steel yet!

Hopefully nothing big. They better leave room for a 3rd bridge and a couple more additional tracks. Not that they have to build that right away, but keep the option open dammit.

Can you believe that North Station had up to 25 tracks back in the 1930s? Now it only has 10.

1934a.jpg

Like said before, maybe the MBTA can secure federal funding (through ARRA or other programs maybe) for additional track capacity (3-5 additional tracks?). Or dare I say a portal opening for a potential North-South Rail Link :)

NS already has 3 or 4 unused tracks.

It made sense back when the industrial towns of the Merrimack Valley were really humming but North Station doesn't have anywhere near the traffic it once did to justify that much of an expansion. Truth is if the state ever does build the NS Link that there will probably be less tracks at North Station since most of the traffic would be focused on South Station.

HSR up to Southern NH, w/ maybe one stop in Lawrence, seems like it would become insanely popular if ever implemented. It could even be Accela's interpretation of HSR and still be very enticing.

HSR up to Southern NH, w/ maybe one stop in Lawrence, seems like it would become insanely popular if ever implemented. It could even be Accela's interpretation of HSR and still be very enticing.

I certainly agree. The daily traffic on I-93 coming to/from Concord is insane.

But high-speed rail, or even commuter service, up to Manchester and Concord is becoming less likely - even though they got some ARRA money for the Capitol Corridor Study. The state is trying to repeal the NH Rail Transit Authority ... TODAY (no lie)!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/237565/transit-authority-faces-derailment

Sorry if I missed it on previous pages, are there plans to redevelop this location?

I certainly agree. The daily traffic on I-93 coming to/from Concord is insane.

But high-speed rail, or even commuter service, up to Manchester and Concord is becoming less likely - even though they got some ARRA money for the Capitol Corridor Study. The state is trying to repeal the NH Rail Transit Authority ... TODAY (no lie)!

http://www.concordmonitor.com/article/237565/transit-authority-faces-derailment
Sigh*

I like the logic one troll said that Rapid Transit works in Utah as opposed to in the Granite State. If the House Republicans up in Concord want to argue the benefits of high-speed rail, then they can do this, and continue to live in their low-rent, white trash state.

Like the Goodyear Blimp Governor of New Jersey, New Hampshire can give back the stimulus funds. But on the plus side, their will be less of a chance that I get to run into the Dukes of Nashua here in the Commonwealth.

"The problem is rail transit is a boondoggle, and especially unsuitable for a rural state like New Hampshire," said Rep. Dan McGuire, an Epsom Republican and the bill's primary sponsor. "Rail doesn't attract any more passengers than buses do, and it costs a significant amount more."

New Hampshire built the bus terminal in Porstmouth, off 95, and NH paid for many of the busses that you see on the highway. I believe only the towns and not the state paid for the NH stations on the Down East.

In the context of our federal and each state's deficits, it pains me to say, but yea in a state like NH, rail throughout is probably not worth the cost. But in southern NH a station or two that goes directly (or again a stop in Lawerence or Lowell) to Boston seems like it would be very popular. It would make its conection to Boston far stronger. 93N in the evening is miserable, even just an 80mph train would really make that comute far better.

Back