Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

there is alot of space around this building.
051-8.jpg

That's where Spaulding is going?

I think that's a poor idea. Housing works there because there's no public transportation down to the part of the Navy Yard. Homeowners will drive or walk but all office workers will have to drive, causing a lot of in and out traffic.

The views are nice, that's the only positive.

That's where Spaulding is going?

I think that's a poor idea. Housing works there because there's no public transportation down to the part of the Navy Yard. Homeowners will drive or walk but all office workers will have to drive, causing a lot of in and out traffic.

The views are nice, that's the only positive.

Partners runs shuttle busses to Charlestown Navy Yard since they have a lot of labs in Building 149. That should help if they add a stop at the new Spaulding. Otherwise there would be a lot of traffic since there is only one way in and out of the area.

Always thought that a in-street trolley running down the axis of the Navy Yard or possibly BRT would be the ideal way to handle a district which will continue to grow in population and employment over the next decade plus

Spaulding should be in a place where it is isolated to allow the patients some of the original idea of a calming and pastoral environment -- since that's not easy them give them a harbor view and some landscaping

The old Spaulding site can be developed into a apartment campus with several towers and some low rise for retail

That's interesting, I remember now thinking the same thing about a trolley. I think there's a spur (or was) that went through part of the Navy Yard.

Too late now, I would imagine, with all the new (residential) development. You know how those people get.

That's interesting, I remember now thinking the same thing about a trolley. I think there's a spur (or was) that went through part of the Navy Yard.

Too late now, I would imagine, with all the new (residential) development. You know how those people get.

The entire Navy Yard was once serviceable by freight. Some tracks still remain throughout the yard, a mere fraction of all the track once there. I think it was originally serviced by the Fitchburg Railroad.

The rails were probably almost completely obliterated as a result of the Tobin and/or 93 being built.

I wonder if this place would have remained a viable Navy Yard had that not happened, or if it was already in decline. :confused: It would be nice to have some more marine-based economics going on in this city. Our naval stations are gone, our container port blows, there's no ship building... We're lucky to have a decent cruise terminal, though.

The entire Navy Yard was once serviceable by freight. Some tracks still remain throughout the yard, a mere fraction of all the track once there. I think it was originally serviced by the Fitchburg Railroad.

The rails were probably almost completely obliterated as a result of the Tobin and/or 93 being built.

I wonder if this place would have remained a viable Navy Yard had that not happened, or if it was already in decline. :confused: It would be nice to have some more marine-based economics going on in this city. Our naval stations are gone, our container port blows, there's no ship building... We're lucky to have a decent cruise terminal, though.

Navy yards are all but gone:

Portsmouth Naval Shipyard, located on Maine-New Hampshire border; Operational: 1800 to present, making it the oldest continuously-operating shipyard of the US Navy.

Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Portsmouth, Virginia, is one of the largest shipyards in the world; specializing in repairing, overhauling and modernizing naval ships and submarines. It's the oldest and largest industrial facility that belongs to the United States Navy

Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, Washington, is also owned by the U.S. Navy. It services ships and submarines from the West Coast.

The Portland, Oregon shipyard, operated by Cascade General Ship Repair is the largest such facility on the United States West Coast.

Even the Naval ship builders have dropped to a very few (NOTE -- there are no US commercial ship builders above yacht size or specialized stuff for drilling in the Gulf of Mexico or the builders of cruise / tourist boats required to be built in the US under the Jones Act):

Electric Boat Division (EBDiv) of General Dynamics in Groton, Connecticut with an accessory facility in Quonset Point, Rhode Island, builder of many Naval submarines

Bath Iron Works (BIW), subsidiary of General Dynamics, is a major American shipyard located on the Kennebec River in Bath, Maine.

Northrop Grumman Newport News, (formerly Newport News Shipbuilding & Drydock Company) is the largest private ship builder in the US and the one best known for its unique capacity to build the Nimitz-class aircraft carriers.

Ingalls Shipbuilding, part of Northrop Grumman Ship Systems, located in Pascagoula, Mississippi repaired the USS Cole and builds offshore drilling rigs, cruise ships and naval vessels.

National Steel and Shipbuilding Company (NASSCO) shipyard in San Diego, California, part of General Dynamics; is the primary shipbuilding location on the west coast of the United States.

As to Containers -- while small the Conley Container Terminal is very efficient and rapidly increasing in the amount of business that it does -- they just inaugurated a 2nd weekly ship visit from Asia

I wonder if there's any chance the old Spaulding Building could be torn down so the current space can be involved in whatever "North Station Tower" projects there may be in the future.

Probably could, but would we want one developer controlling that much land? The surrounding buildings already cry out for big, suburban turds to rise on those parcels, seems to me consolidating control would ensure we get more Tip O'Neills and not more North Ends (not that anyone is expecting that here).

I wonder if there's any chance the old Spaulding Building could be torn down so the current space can be involved in whatever "North Station Tower" projects there may be in the future.

I was under the impression the old Spaulding building was to be torn down to allow for more tracks in/out of North Sation. There are a couple of platforms within North Station that don't even extend out past the building. They currently go unused because there is no place to put the tracks. That said, I believe someone should build over the tracks and parking lots behind North Station. Is that technically Delaware North's property?

I thought the parking lot belonged to MGH (who also own Spaulding)

from east boston
034-13.jpg
at 1st I thought the skin was going on>
035-14.jpg
036-15.jpg
037-18.jpg
luv the tobin behind it!
041-19.jpg

Looks to be either the same size or smaller than the current location? I thought the point of leaving their pretty new building for an even newer one was for more room?

the inside of the old one is downright scary. not a great place to rehabilitate.

Speaking of which, are there any plans for the old location?

Speaking of which, are there any plans for the old location?

To be gobbled up by the T for future North Station expansion. Nothing currently on the table for expanding the platform area because NS is a long ways behind South Station load-wise to need that kind of capacity bump. 2 of its platforms are out-of-service anyway because of access issues, so utmost priority on the northside is building a third drawbridge span to get a full 6 lead tracks in there and make use of all the platforms they've got. They'll reserve space for tracks like they're doing at SS and anything that gets built over the space will certainly be on air rights allowing new tracks/platforms to pass underneath...up to double the current number of platforms.

The Spaulding parcel becomes a station parking lot in the interim, and probably a parking garage in the long-term. No doubt with dozens of fancy proposals for giant Meninotowers that never come to fruition, like with the SS air rights. Really, Northpoint's got to fill up before this parcel becomes realistic for some megaproposal. There's too much right nearby that they're straining to get anything built on, so it's not close to maxing out its property value.

The extra NS parking will make a big immediate difference, even if it's not all that exciting to look at.

Back