Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

It looks like something you'd find in Amsterdam. It's a very refreshing chunk of Euro-architecture for Boston!

it's amazing...this building shows so many of the same design features and details as countless other developments in the city but unlike most of the others it's actually elegant..well done!

From yesterday

IMG_2365.jpg

IMG_2366.jpg

IMG_2367.jpg

It would have been nice if they tried to break up the massing a little...it feels extremely monolithic/boxy

It would have been nice if they tried to break up the massing a little...it feels extremely monolithic/boxy

I think it's tough for a hospital to avoid that look in many cases. Regardless, I think it looks pretty cool...it reminds me of a high-tech building from SimCity 4.

I think it's tough for a hospital to avoid that look in many cases. Regardless, I think it looks pretty cool...it reminds me of a high-tech building from SimCity 4.

Tmac -- I think that building will be an instant-stop on the tourist boat plying the inner harbor -- summer 2014

".....here's the world famous Spaulding Rehab Hospital affiliated with MGH -- where Gronk Superbowl MVP --- is having his current high ankle sprain rehabbed in time for the 2014 season --- we'll stop here so that you can see the site and take pictures -- next we'll see the USS Constitution -- this year celebrating the victories in the War of 1812 -- haaaah sides ahhhh made of Ahhhhhn....."

maps

maps

OMFG. Sleek, almost Copenhagen-quality neomodernism...in Boston.

Better than the rendering award 2012.

The only downside is that it makes other new developments its size, most especially the entire Seaport, look even more cartoonish by comparison.

There is a great conversation happening between all three of the boxes you captured in these pics, highlighted by the window patterns. Spaulding is looking slick sneeking up on the other two.

It's slick alright, but I'm having a hard time getting over those chunky proportions.

OMFG. Sleek, almost Copenhagen-quality neomodernism...in Boston.

Better than the rendering award 2012.

The only downside is that it makes other new developments its size, most especially the entire Seaport, look even more cartoonish by comparison.

CZ -- I like it from distant views -- up close I prefer the old Navy industrial buildings hands down

It's slick alright, but I'm having a hard time getting over those chunky proportions.

Kz--Chunky compared to what?

I'm guessing that since the old Spaulding was built that there is increased need for large open spaces compared to just rooms for housing patients

You can stick the large workout, labs and therapy rooms inside the structure not needing windows, whereas patient rooms and offices all tend to be on the periphery of a building -- so the more the new Spauding needs the former the more squarish it can become

further, it looks as if the area of the site out at the end of the Navy yard is greater than the land that was available over by N Station for the old Spauding -- that means that the structure can be shorter and have bigger floor plates and a bigger footprint

I'm well aware that modern technologies allow for deeper floorplates and that hospitals take full advantage of them; that the new Spaulding follows these trends isn't the least bit shocking.

The difference comes in siting -- most new medical buildings are squeezed into Longwood, MGH or BMC where their girth is largely hidden. But Spaulding's high profile site means it can be seen from all directions, and having viewed it with my own eyes from all directions I'm of the opinion that it's exceptionally squat and hulking. Hell, I think the vast majority of "towers" in the Seaport have better proportions than this.

But still, I do like that skin. It certainly beats any expectations I had.

CZ -- I like it from distant views -- up close I prefer the old Navy industrial buildings hands down

Well, sure. It goes without saying that this only looks fantastic compared to what we've seen built in the past 40 years or so...

111 Huntington just makes the skyline for so many views. At least there's one thing to thank Menino for.

Back