Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

I hate the space between the top row of windows and the roof. What is this with this massive blank space? Other than that, this is fantastic, I really dig it!!!

I think I read that mechanicals and electrics have been moved up because of rising sea levels and storm surges. Not putting them in the basement / sub-basement in a flood zone.

MGH is taking it over for lab and office space. The MBTA would love for some/all of the building to come down so their western-most North Station platforms can become usable. Expect a protracted fight over that one...

As an aside, I spoke to a Spaulding administrator the other week, and they were "not even close" to ready for the move.

The current building has a banner on it announcing the move date. It would be embarrassing to postpone it now.

Oh they'll move on the date, it's just crazy at the hospital right now preparing for it.

MGH is taking it over for lab and office space. The MBTA would love for some/all of the building to come down so their western-most North Station platforms can become usable. Expect a protracted fight over that one...

As an aside, I spoke to a Spaulding administrator the other week, and they were "not even close" to ready for the move.

It might be feasible to just knock down the eastern wing to make room for new approach tracks, leaving the rest of the building.

^ That's what DOT would like, I think the problem is that the lab space MGH wants is in that wing of the building.

I'm also curious whether the planned South Bank pedestrian/bike bridge requires demolishing any part of the Spaulding building.

I'm also curious whether the planned South Bank pedestrian/bike bridge requires demolishing any part of the Spaulding building.

Is that different from the one that's going to side-car on the rebuilt train draws?

Yes. The South Bank bridge will cross over the railroad tracks, not over the river, from the current site of Spaulding over to the area near Lovejoy Wharf and the Charles River Dam.

Ron, do you know if that bridge (and the alleged third ped bridge crossing from Lovejoy Wharf to Spaulding) are anywhere in the project pipeline?

On a serious note, it seems like great timing for the opening of the rehab hospital, with so many of those injured coming away losing a limb or having one mangled. Hopefully Spaulding Rehab can provide the care necessary for these unfortunate people to regain some sense of normalcy.

On a serious note, it seems like great timing for the opening of the rehab hospital, with so many of those injured coming away losing a limb or having one mangled. Hopefully Spaulding Rehab can provide the care necessary for these unfortunate people to regain some sense of normalcy.

On a serious note, WTF?

On a serious note, WTF?

How is this WTF? It's true... Spaulding is happening to open their new world-class facility just in time to assist with the rehab of the wounded. That's a good thing.

Back