Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital | Navy Yard | Charlestown

from Fan Pier
030-1.jpg

from Chelsea kind of ruins this veiw of the Back Bay
098-1.jpg
121.jpg
^ fits in fine here!

Last edited:
These two buildings have very little in common but are so happy together...

I talked to a friend who works at Spaulding and they said move-in has been pushed back from end of summer to this winter. Not sure why, but I imagine it takes a long time to build out the interior of a hospital.

Is it me or are hospitals the only ones showing any sort of architectural daring these days? First it was the refined Dana Farber building in Longwood, then BMC's Ambulatory Building, and now this one.

Considering how awful most hospital architecture is and has always been, I'd like to imagine that with the rise of healthcare as a major economic driver, the folks running them now wish for their buildings to aspire to something bigger and better as well.

Not just hospitals, but universities, too.

Really it's just the for-profit sector that's the exception to decent architecture being built in Boston. Pity it's what drives so much development.

Not just hospitals, but universities, too.

Really it's just the for-profit sector that's the exception to decent architecture being built in Boston. Pity it's what drives so much development.

CZ -- I posted it on another thread -- but its all about ownership and pride there-of

U's, Hospitals, Museums -- they are here for the long-haul and have a pride of ownership

Now-a-days -- only a few commercial projects are owner developed/occupied -- such as Liiberty Mutual and New Ballance -- they do show pride of ownership and distinctiveness (even if you don't agree with their particular choice of architecture)

Whighlander, I think you'd be best to drop hospitals from that list considering 99% of what they build is godawful. The trend I see is backed up by a whopping three buildings...heck it's a stretch to even call it a trend, but I'm hopeful that's what it is.

I really like it. When can they knock down the old one and expand north station?

I really like the look of the new building as well. I haven't read through all the pages of this thread, so I was wondering if there a plan in place for the old building. Are they planning on selling the old property and if so, what would people like to see it become?

I work at Spaulding in the summer and the word for several years has been that MGH assumes control of the building upon Spaulding's move. Not sure of their plans for the space though.

I work at Spaulding in the summer and the word for several years has been that MGH assumes control of the building upon Spaulding's move. Not sure of their plans for the space though.

Ugh, noooo! What about track 11 & 12?! :(

Refresh my memory: Which track currently has the crew trailers? 10? And was Spaudling built on owned land or leased?

Depending on how long you want the platform for North Station 11/12 to be (e.g. 6-ish cars long for the Downeaster) all that really needs to happen is that Spaulding gives up the cryogenic tank in its parking lot.

CZ -- I posted it on another thread -- but its all about ownership and pride there-of

U's, Hospitals, Museums -- they are here for the long-haul and have a pride of ownership

Now-a-days -- only a few commercial projects are owner developed/occupied -- such as Liiberty Mutual and New Ballance -- they do show pride of ownership and distinctiveness (even if you don't agree with their particular choice of architecture)

I don't think I have to agree with LM or NB's particular choice of architecture to dispute that it's distinctive in any way.

Lots of developers in Boston have been on the scene a very long time and have their reputations to consider. They still crank out crap.

For profit = generally crap architecture in Boston.

As I said, not sure of MGH's plans for the building. It's technically not up to code for patient care anymore, but Spaulding's been allowed to continue operations since their new space was delayed. It could be converted for office space I suppose. Hopefully MGH at the least will demolish the back wing of the building, which would make room for additional tracks to North Station.

Back