Special Senate Election - Final

Who will you likely vote for January 19?

• Scott Brown(R)

Votes: 12 40.0%
  • Martha Coakley(D)

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • Joseph Kennedy(I)

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters
What do you mean?

The Republicans made changes to medicare and medicaid using reconciliation to bypass a filibuster. Dick Cheney actually cast the deciding vote.

They used it on another three occasions for tax cuts.

There's precedence and the Democrats should use it - for the good of the country. The alternative -

nothing will get done and Obama will get blamed for it and even more Republicans will be elected proposing nothing but the tax cuts that began this whole mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
True. Dukakis might be a punchline for people outside MA, but here he's probably well remembered for the Massachusetts Miracle.

My take on things: the Brown win could cause the Dems in Washington to be less divided amongst themselves. Healthcare may not be over -- depends if they want to just go the reconciliation route and get a major piece of legislation on the boards. If they cave on healthcare now, they will have lost an entire year and the GOP will have an opening with voters both on economics and the Dems' fecklessness. I can see the ads now: "Why did the Democrats spend an entire year dawdling when YOU were out of work?? Take your country back..." and "Healthcare: they all voted for it before they were against it".

On the state level, Charlie Baker will beat Deval Patrick in November. Census figures will cause MA to lose one seat in the House. Baker will have a major say on the redistricting of MA's remaining Congressional seats and in doing so will try to clear out someone who cannot be a threat to Brown in 2012 (Tierney, Delahunt, Olver, Neal, Tsongas). After losing the Kennedy seat and the governor's race, MA Dems will finally have the fire back. And with Obama on the national ticket -- likely with a much stronger economy and further losses in the 2010 midterms, the Dems will have decent prospects in 2012.

I can see Mike Capuano, Marty Meehan and Barney Frank all as being able to beat Brown. Maybe Ed Markey. NO, no Dukakis, not EVER.

I don't know why Frank would be a better candidate than Dukakis. Dukakis was elected statewide several times, had a great record as governor, and managed to get on a national ticket. He would be the 180 degree opposite of a Coakley - I had a chance to see him speak at a meeting about electoral organizing and it seemed like he had the entire state's town meeting and dump opening schedules memorized, plus the schedule for Red Sox home games.

I think Frank's brand only really works in his heavily liberal district. He's a heavily polarizing figure, like a Robert Reich. His current position on stopping health care reform is making him look like a wimp to Dems who would go after him in the primary. And word is he doesn't want to give up his really powerful position in the House, anyway.

For the record, I'd be really happy to see Deval deposed by someone in the GOP. The governorship is the traditional safety valve for Mass. Republicans, and they can do way less damage there vs. the heavily Dem legislature than someone like Brown can in the national Senate. Deval's election tipped the balance of power way too far and built part of the momentum for this Brown win, and his low approval ratings are dragging every Dem down with him. I can't even name a single concrete achievement of his, anyway - whereas at least Mitt brought in universal health care.

I think Menino should be senator. I'd vote for him because of how hilarious it would be.

Bumper sticker: "Palin-Brown 2012"

You know this is going to one of the more interesting sub-plots of this election.

The Tea Party wing of the GOP is going to hate Brown. Glenn Beck has already taken a few pot shots at him and Brown has said he wants to see some sort of health care reform passed. Just wait until the chants of RINO start getting really loud.

If the GOP really wants Brown to be face of the "new" Republican party they are going to have to turn their back on Palin and her supporters, which could be deadly. Unless, of course, Brown goes full Romney.

Interesting to see how they play it.

Interestingly, if the legislature hadn't taken the power to appoint a senator away from Romney, then this wouldn't have been an issue right now.

From Universal Hub:

Brown backs birther for Congress

Our Senator-elect yesterday endorsed William Hudak of Boxford in his race against US Rep. John Tierney.

As Dan Kennedy reports, Hudak put up large signs in front of his house in 2008 showing Obama as Osama and believes Obama was born in Kenya. Kennedy says it's possible Brown didn't know Hudak thinks the president is illegally in office.

Interestingly, if the legislature hadn't taken the power to appoint a senator away from Romney, then this wouldn't have been an issue right now.

Despite the way this race turned out, I still think this is the right way to go. The rule should call for a special election unless there isn't enough time for replacement can't be seated before the final year of term, in which case the Governor should appoint the replacement for the remainder of the term.

Iam MOST EXCITED by these exprsiion of FREE and DEMORASIC Norton of will ofvoting peeples. Also. This being turning points. First OUR MAYO is returning to the power.
NOW. Iam hereing that Sen. Mr. Brown has the high school knickname "DUCE"!!!
Iam not being the age of voting, but am glad the BETTER future is being laid. Then I get my piece too when Iam voter ages.

As Dan Kennedy reports, Hudak put up large signs in front of his house in 2008 showing Obama as Osama and believes Obama was born in Kenya. Kennedy says it's possible Brown didn't know Hudak thinks the president is illegally in office.

Just like he claimed to have never heard of the Tea Party movement even though they were obvious backers of his campaign and were crawling all over the state?

That was awesome. "Democrats added Trucks to their Interests."

Back