State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

No, I somewhat tried to find that view after this but have to go back and explore the rest of it. This was woods directly to the southwest of the Mt Hood golf course, Flagg Acres or something. Very confusing place. I was extremely lost and only found the view because of a helpful local who was out walking his dog. You're right that MT is striking as it's possibly the most of it I can see, top to bottom, in any view.
I never cease to be amazed at the quality of pictures you take from so far away. I didn’t realize until joining this site that you could even get camera lenses like that. It kind of reminds me of the sharpshooter pictures from spy movies, where the faithful servant with the impossibly acute vision from Baron Munchausen, which character was based on some old German fairytales.

I never cease to be amazed at the quality of pictures you take from so far away. I didn’t realize until joining this site that you could even get camera lenses like that. It kind of reminds me of the sharpshooter pictures from spy movies, where the faithful servant with the impossibly acute vision from Baron Munchausen, which character was based on some old German fairytales.

It's actually an inexpensive camera too! Basically $300 which then dropped to $200 when the newer model came out, so I snagged it at that low $200 price. It has a 30x optical zoom which is perfect for me to capture all of the skyline shots from the suburban views. This means it doesn't start pixelating as early as other cameras would. Its biggest fail is that there's about a 5 second lag between pictures, so it's much lousier for moving shots. I can't just rapid-fire pics of my kids for instance, which would be useful. Instead the camera's main purpose (for me at least) are these distance shots.

The camera is a few years old now, but it's called a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS. Note that I do some light post-process editing, typically adjusting the color and clarity to make the pics pop a little bit more than the raw footage.

The first pic by dzh22 really does accentuate the depth of the skyline with the additions to the West End / Gov't center. It gives the skyline a much needed fresh look.

The first pic by dzh22 really does accentuate the depth of the skyline with the additions to the West End / Gov't center. It gives the skyline a much needed fresh look.

Gets rid of the tired “Banacek” opening credits look.

The rest from 5/21. I'm totally sold on the glass, including the vertical strips portion that will constitute the majority of the tower!

IMG_9503 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9504 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9505 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9508 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9511 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9585 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9590 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9591 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9592 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9593 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9596 by David Z, on Flickr

IMG_9597 by David Z, on Flickr

Interesting that they start installing the glass (from the bottom floors up) before the upper floors are framed in. Is that for protection against weather, or to enable a fast construction schedule and keep all the crews active?

4xXQjGBh.png

It's actually an inexpensive camera too! Basically $300 which then dropped to $200 when the newer model came out, so I snagged it at that low $200 price. It has a 30x optical zoom which is perfect for me to capture all of the skyline shots from the suburban views. This means it doesn't start pixelating as early as other cameras would. Its biggest fail is that there's about a 5 second lag between pictures, so it's much lousier for moving shots. I can't just rapid-fire pics of my kids for instance, which would be useful. Instead the camera's main purpose (for me at least) are these distance shots.

The camera is a few years old now, but it's called a Canon PowerShot SX500 IS. Note that I do some light post-process editing, typically adjusting the color and clarity to make the pics pop a little bit more than the raw footage.
I was surprised to find that you use a point and shoot. I have a DSLR and it doesn't perform nearly as well from long distances. I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or what... someday I need to learn how to actually use my camera!

ULI is hosting a tour of One Congress/Bulfinch Crossing next week. Tickets available here. I just bought mine! Message me if anyone else decides to check it out!
$135 for a tour??!?!

Yes.

Sometimes people drop $100+ for an obstructed view seat at Fenway Park. Sometimes urbanists drop $100+ for a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to get a hard hat tour from the development team of their beloved city's newest landmark skyscraper. 🤷‍♂️

wasn't judging you or how you spend your money. i was merely surprised that the price was that high. i had followed the link you were kind enough to share and was excited to join the group, but was caught off guard by the price. that's all.

They don't want a huge number of people showing up... crowd control in a construction zone is difficult. Set the price to something that will give most of the rabble a small amount of pause and you keep the crowd mostly composed of enthusiasts and people interested for various reasons.

that all makes good sense. i had no frame of reference to base my expectations on and, thusly, was way off. in this case, i'd definitely fall into the category of "rabble" who are put off by $135 for a site tour -- not that i don't think it's worth it; i just can't afford that at the moment.

Back