State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

The downtown skyline is really going to perk up with the addition of this as well as South Station and Winthrop which are both closer to 700'.

Hopefully this becomes Bostons downtown icon and placemaker that becomes associated with Boston whenever you see it in the background on the news or aerial shots for games. It could become the hancock of downtown.

Hopefully this becomes Bostons downtown icon and placemaker that becomes associated with Boston whenever you see it in the background on the news or aerial shots for games. It could become the hancock of downtown.

I support this sentiment, but has anyone else found that very few people outside the region immediately recognize/associate 200 Clarendon as Boston's tallest, let alone even halfway to 'iconic skyscraper of the US' status? No one from outside the region I've spoken to about this, who isn't a tall building fan to begin with, knows much about the former John Hancock tower, but when I show them pictures they assume it was finished after 2000, which says something interesting, too.

I support this sentiment, but has anyone else found that very few people outside the region immediately recognize/associate 200 Clarendon as Boston's tallest, let alone even halfway to 'iconic skyscraper of the US' status? No one from outside the region I've spoken to about this, who isn't a tall building fan to begin with, knows much about the former John Hancock tower, but when I show them pictures they assume it was finished after 2000, which says something interesting, too.

The Hancock (not 200 Clarendon) is a very well known name. This tower will certainly be used as an identifier due to some amazing profiles from the Charles, but we'll have to see what the branding will be.

Anecdotally I've already heard plenty of people talking about the new "Verizon Tower at the Garden" - with it's unique look and placement right next to the bridge and lit up at night, it will be a much more readily recognizable structure than this tower to the general populace of downtown.

Last edited:
Oof my phone is bad. But this is the shot.
Screenshot_20210607-190423_Gallery.jpg
20210607_172317.jpg
Huntington at Mass Ave. Somebody with a decent camera, please...

Not so much the hancock as the back bay skyline. Whenever you see someone interviewed on the news from boston they usually have that in the background or the zakim.

Not to be crude, but some people I know have already started referring to this building as "The Vag", because of the shape of the slit up the middle. As a gay man, I have no idea what they're talking about lol though actually the ones I heard say that were also gay...

Not to be crude, but some people I know have already started referring to this building as "The Vag", because of the shape of the slit up the middle. As a gay man, I have no idea what they're talking about lol though actually the ones I heard say that were also gay...
The Vagina Building in Chicago gets a new companion! 🤣

Crain Communications Building
by Peter Miller, on Flickr

As a straight man I can tell you matter of factly that this doesn't look like any that I have ever seen. If anything, the slit resembles a woman revealing her leg in a sexy dress, something like this:

1623119724414.png

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qimg-7e79521ef3e484defe67198536108a15

Of course in this case, it's a bit of a more voluptuous woman. Take your pick from below, slap a State Street sign on her, and you've got your girl.

1623120157773.png

1623120172555.png

1623120183953.png

Last edited:
Does anybody know the official height of the Sudbury? The webpage states 480' but others have said that it's over 500'. Thanks.

When I toured to buy, some of the glossy literature said 480ft, but their offices had a diagram that clearly said 496ft. When on the roof deck, they delightfully said "you're 500ft above the city", which I attributed to rounding.

In all seriousness, one of the units I reviewed was "over 465ft above street level", and that declaration was curious because it left little room for other characteristics above. I suspect they were measuring to the structural height of the gap above the unit's ceiling because I know there are functional components above the ceiling, then the roof and its decking, and finally the parapet surrounding the rooftop amenities (the shell structure is rather high). Perhaps they were rounding then, too.

Does anybody know the official height of the Sudbury? The webpage states 480' but others have said that it's over 500'. Thanks.

Back