State Street HQ | One Congress | Bulfinch Crossing | West End

E964E6DC-3161-415A-8CE8-241C33348134.jpeg

Pic credit goes to my friend Tommy Bullock.

This is a stellar shot, but the uninspired/old fashioned State Street "logo" (if you can call it that -- what is it, a slightly tweaked Times New Roman or Cambria font?) is completely at odds with the daring, fluid design of the building, itself. Bigtime mismatch.

Mildly modified Rotis serif font, I think. Their choice of corporate typeface is...uninspired.

The font is a bit stodgy, but it is an old Boston bank after all. They certainly don't want to look too Vegas-y. ;)
More to the point, State Street isn't a retail bank - being a custodial bank (the biggest globally) it's customers are large institutions. It doesn't need to impress Joe on the street, it needs to convey stability. A staid, solid, serif font logotype does that. See those of BNY Mellon, JP Morgan, Credit Suisse, for examples.

That said, would it kill them to put the clipper ship up there? They already went to the trouble of having the building evoke sails; having the ship on the tip of the "wave" I think would be quite nice, though certainly less recognizable.

Last edited:

Back