Suffolk Dorms / Modern Theatre | Washington St | Downtown Crossing

Re: Suffolk Dorms / Modern Theatre

Exercise is good for you.

Haha :)

I commute anyways, and walk around the city between classes, but still don't see the need to spread the campus around. I just think it makes things a hassle, but whatever.

Two [what-I-assume-to-be] original stone columns are now in place at the lobby entry. Someone who is better prepared than I will have to take a pic for us.

yesterday's drive-by
196.jpg

that's not the Modern, that's the Opera House

but thanks anyway...

The upper portion of the Modern is visible to the far right of the photo next to Harlem Place (that narrow alley) and Felt. It looks like the original stone facade is going to be reassembled with a CMU backup wall.

what is CMU? (abbreviation means 'Carnegie-Mellon University' to me ;-)

Concrete Masonry Unit. In other words, cinder block.

The facade reconstruction looks almost complete--tough to see in the photos through the wrap.

modern_6-10_2.jpg

modern_6-10_3.jpg

modern_6-10_1.jpg

Most of the wrap has come down:

modern_07_10_c.jpg

modern_07_10_e.jpg

modern_07_10_b.jpg

modern_detail_07_10_a.jpg

modern_detail_07_10_b.jpg

When was the last time this block looked this good?
modern_07_10_a.jpg

The restored part looks great! Too bad the new part looks like the same shit they build everywhere.

It's the one jarring note. Modernism says a new part of a building has to stand out. You can stand out in a packed elevator by farting.

Thank God for the restored facade. The new building is crap. Something like Suffolk's Miller Dorm would have been better for the new part, no? Bleh...

I suppose this is an appropriate time to remind ourselves as to the state of this building 3 years ago:
1191505394_2259.jpg

I think this one jumps ahead of the Emerson Paramount restoration as 2010's best development.

That is an A+ restoration. Shame that the facadectomy is so obvious. Too bad they couldn't have afforded to wrap stone on the lower section of the alley as well. Would have sold the idea much better.

I think the addition is sharp. And really it almost seems (especially from a distance > 20 ft) like the two facades are seperate bulidings just right next to each other. I think its a job well done.

Back