The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

I love seeing this big ugly garage come down.

Welcome back and thanks for all the pics today, BeeLine!

BEELINE IS BACK!!!

Cant wait to see whats behind this. How much will this open up the gated community of the west end that is behind it.

Wall of shame is one of the worst pedestrian dungeons of all time.

We lead the nation and sadly continue to build more endless no-line-of-sight garbage.

This is going to be one of the best vacant spaces evaar.

Looking forward to the open pit mining operation too.

Tower rises/ 865' (Mardis Gras) rises (someday) next door?

Another tower where the colossal order has no business being there. Boston is beyond help. It is the new horizontal stripe.

I also want to add that the colossal order should only be at the street level, where the effect of the colossal order, which is to make the building look massive relative to the viewer, is at its greatest effect. There's absolutely no reason to continue it to the top. Doing so gives the opposite effect of what the colossal order is supposed to do. It makes the tower look shorter than it is. There's a reason why Walt Disney made the windows at the top of his castles smaller because it gives the effect that it is much taller than it is.

Last edited:

Usually yea because demo =/= construction. See: Filenes.

I believe that Filenes did start foundation work, but it was stopped because of the great recession.

I believe that Filenes did start foundation work, but it was stopped because of the great recession.

See The Kensington.

i love the badass tactical approach. Build a big pile of rubble and then climb up it.

Dig out more garage and repeat.

Q4 2021??? Why

Q4 2021??? Why
Just in time for better nearby transit via the Green Line Extension. Too bad the project had to include 830 underground spaces.

Q4 2021??? Why

1. Garage Demo
2. Slurry walls
3. Dig hole for 830 underground spaces
4. Go vertical

I probably missed 15 other steps in between, but my thinking is the demo and excavation for the parking are the drivers of the schedule here. Plus, we are already halfway through 2018.

1. Garage Demo
2. Slurry walls
3. Dig hole for 830 underground spaces
4. Go vertical

I probably missed 15 other steps in between, but my thinking is the demo and excavation for the parking are the drivers of the schedule here. Plus, we are already halfway through 2018.

Also, remember that that's occupancy, not top-out or the appearance of completion from the outside. If you aren't looking to live here, the building will probably look done at some point in mid-2020.

How much will this open up the gated community of the west end that is behind it.

As a resident of the West End, I'd love to see it a little more open. That said, part of the reason I'm leaving is that the construction has killed two of my favorite, hard to find, benefits of living there with a kid, which were the basketball and tennis courts. Also, the Thoreau Path is now cordoned off due to the construction as well.

If they sink the parking lot at whittier place its the same size parcel 2 blocks away from this and could be another way to get more of a "street wall" on this side of the West End. I wonder if anyone has looked at this yet.

The parking lot by the tracks at North Station is huge and I'd love to see it developed. Could fit several thousand units at Avalon NS density

I believe the Whittier and Hawthorne garages are owned by the condo associations so I am not sure they would be willing to sell. They fight every development.

If they sink the parking lot at whittier place its the same size parcel 2 blocks away from this and could be another way to get more of a "street wall" on this side of the West End. I wonder if anyone has looked at this yet.

The parking lot by the tracks at North Station is huge and I'd love to see it developed. Could fit several thousand units at Avalon NS density

SST heights or taller or bust! North Station is probably still a ways out (conjecture). But, 65 Martha Rd can go possibly to ~860–870' ...or maybe somewhere out on the Pike past Parcel 15 is possible. Maybe those are the last chances for ~MT to new tallest height in the next 15~20 years (all conjecture). Or maybe we're done for 25 years.

Ultimately, it's fate might depend on the resolve of Marty Walsh.

Last edited:

Back