The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Is there a map available showing who owns what in the west end? Anyone willing to make one?

see that rather horrid bldg on the right?

:)

That came down quicker than I expected.

Much quicker than Govt Center Garage, probably because nothing needed to be preserved. The building isn't scheduled to open till late 2021 though

Timeline makes sense in my head... probably another few weeks of demo and rubble clearing. 2021 is a lot closer than it seems... we're at the halfway point for 2018 already.

Despite the short nimby spat 2.5 years ago, this project flew fairly-well-under the radar for many of the proletariat masses. When people happen upon the Bullfinch area and see a giant hole where the garage once stood, added to the tower cranes across the street, they're gonna gasp w/ a collective, "whoa...."

cup your hand up to your ear. see? you hear it.

I miss wrecking balls. Probably inefficient and dangerous, but still were fun to watch.

I miss wrecking balls. Probably inefficient and dangerous, but still were fun to watch.

They tore down the old five or six story St. Vincent's hospital complex in Worcester using a wrecking ball about 9 years ago. They are indeed fun to watch but the seem really inefficient. You basically either swing the boom or drop the ball and while it certainly does damage it takes a long time.

I'm not sure what leads demo companies to pick one tool over another. Nine years ago we had demo excavators so I'm sure that was an option (and I remember seeing some on site doing small amounts of work).

I'm hoping for an implosion when they take down the Eastgate tower at MIT.
Haven't gotten to see one live before.

Fingers crossed.

I'm hoping for an implosion when they take down the Eastgate tower at MIT.
Haven't gotten to see one live before.

Fingers crossed.

When was the last big implosion in Boston? Traveler's tower?

^That and the Madison hotel are the only two I remember in the last 30 years or so

so....

from the camera, the rubble on the north building looks to be almost completely removed.

but the south garage remains.

anyone know how many spaces there were in total?

All of the above perfectly encapsulated in the effort to demolish the old building at the corner of Franklin & Hawley when Millennium Tower was ramping up. I remember hearing (quizzing construction workers on-site) that the original wrecking ball was swung... and it bounced right off the sturdy 1900s masonry.

BONG!!

So they had to bring in a bigger wrecking ball.

Think about that: in our modern times, with all of our sophisticated computer-assisted projecting of physical forces/Newtonian equations, a subcontractor still underestimated what size wrecking ball was required.

from my memory, the destruction in the mid '70s was still in full swing....

oh, i see what i did there. :)

it was scary, astonishing in its extent, breathtaking and sad–all at the same time.

even as a kid you knew something of great value was being lost.

especially because we didn't have alucobond to make it all better again.

Back