The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Longfellow Place (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

I walk here every day and I think it looks great being able to see into the West End. The trouble is that you’ll never have good sightlines through the West End because all the building footprints are haphazardly strewn around… There’s never going to be a corridor down which you can look.

I am disappointed to see how close to the sidewalk the piles are. Perhaps the actual building will be set a bit further back, but this sidewalk is way too narrow right now, and pedestrian traffic is only going to get worse as the area develops further. Whenever the north south rail link gets built, that’s going to add another mass of people who are taking the red line right now.

They did that to preserve a large open space for the CRP community.

At least you'll have an outer street wall, albeit a circular one.

*Don't expect genuine accessible space. Expect the outsiders-not-welcome internal motto will be flaunted.

I think he's talking about the steel above ground even though they clearly arent above ground yet those look like pilings

Thanks Beeline.

It's gonna be one damn huge deep hole one day in the not too distant future.....

btw,

Could there be any illustration that screams "Implode 65 Martha NOW" more than this blatant example?

/

Last edited:

btw,

Could there be any illustration that screams "Implode 65 Martha NOW" more than this blatant example?
/

This statement alone should ban you from this forum. I don't know what pisses me off more... the fact that you don't shut up about it or the fact that you write it knowing this is people's homes. Just because you think it doesn't look good or should be a tall fucking building is so inconsiderate. There are decent people who live here and actually enjoy it.

Why don't you tell us your address so that we can constantly say, "they should tear XXXXX down".

This statement alone should ban you from this forum. I don't know what pisses me off more... the fact that you don't shut up about it or the fact that you write it knowing this is people's homes. Just because you think it doesn't look good or should be a tall fucking building is so inconsiderate. There are decent people who live here and actually enjoy it.

Why don't you tell us your address so that we can constantly say, "they should tear XXXXX down".

They should tear the entire "West End" down. That crap doesn't belong in the heart of a major city.

65 Martha in particular is apartments. People aren't entitled to live indefinitely in the same apartment building, beyond the terms of their leases. Once the surrounding buildings are done, this one should be razed and rebuilt 800'+.

Also, frankly, there were plenty of decent people who lived in the original West End before it was torn down for this suburban style eyesore of a neighborhood. It was one of the biggest urban renewal crimes that Boston has experienced. We can never bring back that neighborhood, but if we can improved small pieces of its replacement then frankly there should be duty to do so. The Charles River Park area is the most embarrassing part of inner Boston today.

Your comment is hypocritical, reactionary, and pretty much loony beyond comprehension. Underdeveloped parcels in the heart of downtown, by major transit stations, and not containing historical structures SHOULD BE redeveloped into something better! God knows we have a housing (+office +hotel) shortage in this city!

Guys, he's been harping on 65 Martha for over a year now. I've learned to just ignore it, especially after confidently saying a tower will be under construction within 4-7 years despite having no valid information or basis for saying this.

^^Next; 65 Martha Road needs the 181 Fremont treatment;
@65 Martha: ~760' with a spire topping 835' and a bold (nimby cardiac arrest), stunning reset for the neighborhood joining the significant towers going up now.

2. Lord and Taylor; ~965'
3. 65 Martha Rd 900'
4. a site near the Garden Garage project 860'

SST heights or taller or bust! North Station is probably still a ways out (conjecture). But, 65 Martha Rd can go possibly to ~860–870'
Ultimately, it's fate might depend on the resolve of Marty Walsh.

65 Martha Rd will have a very tall skyscraper u/c within 4~7 years.

And very possibly become Boston's new tallest.

Fingers crossed.

Don't forget when he made an entire poll

1. 65 Martha + ______ + ______ mega project.

i have a dream scenario lined out that Parcel 15 gets permitted,

and Copley tower miraculously returns.

the Garden Garage goes on hiatus,

and 65 Martha Road gets the Marty treatment: 770'....

and the Garden Garage miraculously returns for the coup de grâce.

Your comment is hypocritical, reactionary, and pretty much loony beyond comprehension.

Says the person who gets his panties twisted over building heights to the inch. No shit it was reactionary. That is literally what that was. I have no idea where the "hypocritical" comes from.

DZH and Orduntz dont live in reality, and they certainly dont live in the city. All they care about is shiny phallic objects to gaze at in pictures or their local suburban hill. 65 martha is no great shakes and that probably makes it very reasonable to live in. Regular people that actually live in the city welcome moderately priced apartments and dont want them replaced with ultra luxury nonsense that none of us can afford.

The high end luxury market might take a serious hit as the government is going to start looking at Boston LLC condo purchases alot more closely:

https://therealdeal.com/2018/11/15/treasury-dramatically-sharpens-llc-disclosure-rules/

DZH and Orduntz dont live in reality, and they certainly dont live in the city. All they care about is shiny phallic objects to gaze at in pictures or their local suburban hill. 65 martha is no great shakes and that probably makes it very reasonable to live in. Regular people that actually live in the city welcome moderately priced apartments and dont want them replaced with ultra luxury nonsense that none of us can afford.

If you want to defend the Charles River Park developments then you are defending the worst of urban renewal in Boston. It's also the ugliest, most embarrassing eyesore within 5 miles of downtown (let alone RIGHT NEXT TO IT). I want the city to fix its mistakes. When we lose another Dainty Dot, Times Building, or the upcoming corner building in Kenmore... Well, at least we saved 65 Martha right guys?

1. Every apartment building in Charles River Park should be leveled to the ground.
2. The street grid should be restored as much as possible to actually integrate this area with the rest of the city.
3. 3-4 times as many residential units should be built to replace what was destroyed, including more apartments than were destroyed.

The area surrounding North Station is criminally underbuilt. Once this tower, both Hub towers, and both Congress Street towers are done, more will be built in this area. As it should. Most of you seem to agree with this except that you can't stand the messenger (Odurandina) nor the echoer (DZH) so you take your NIMBY positions, defending the worst that downtown has to offer, just to oppose us.

Frankly, if some of you weren't so gung-ho on protecting every blade of grass from an early morning sun in December, we'd get the biggest buildings in the Back Bay where they belong (particularly that garage where Kings is). Instead this seems to be the only area (around North Station) where it could possibly happen and both satisfy the FAA while not casting shadows on specific parks. At this point, it IS one of those things where every other city gets a shiny new tallest (even DETROIT is going 900'+, and NIMBY-town San Francisco went 1070') so why not one of the most booming, successful cities in the entire country? And if not here (by North Station), then where? It IS a thing of pride and Boston doesn't seem to have much pride in its architectural PRESENT and FUTURE. We are just content to have a great amount of historical structures, and even then we slowly demolish them and replace them with something worse.

I, for one, am pleased that the Longfellow Place tower is the first shot across the bow of Charles River Park. Urban renewal was the most anti-urban, anti-density, anti-aesthetics, low point in the history of architecture and urban planning in our city. Most of what was done should be repaired, not saved. We should be concentrating on retaining the pre-war structures and fixing the mistakes of the 1950's and 1960's.

Let's be honest. If the old West End was kept intact, you can bet the one person calling for it to be demolished for high-rises would be odurandina. If he was at the helm of Boston's development in the 1950s, he would have been the one who would have called for the urban renewal. Stop pretending that he cares about the urban fabric. He wants height and that's all it matters.

I'm all for fixing the mistakes of the past, and Charles River Park is a hell of a mistake. The West End as it currently exists is not good.

It is also true that the renters who live at 65 Martha Road are human beings, and saying completely dismissive things about how they have no right to live there is a guaranteed way to ensure that there is never any redevelopment of the site. I know it's hard, but it's possible to encourage positive developments without treating current residents like pieces of dog shit stuck to the bottom of your shoe.

Back