The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Re: Garden Garage Towers (New West End building)

Parks...don't....create....vitality!

Ouch, a blindside shot for a landscape architect, as urban minded as I may be.

So we could argue each other as to whether they create vitality, but certainly at a minimum they concentrate and collect it, and rightfully play more of a primary role in urban planning, rather than just the residual space left over between towers or mishmashed street grids.

Remember, man didn't build houses until he could control the landscape-- agriculture made architecture possible. :)

Yea but if the common wasn't surrounded by true urban density it be lynnfield center. Which sucks.

Yea but if the common wasn't surrounded by true urban density it be lynnfield center. Which sucks.

Family joke: "Don't blink, we're about to drive through Lynnfield Center, you might miss it."

Don't read this week's Boston Courant unless you're ready to blow your own brains out.

The complaint is that this project will ruin "a little jewel in the middle of the city."

Don't read this week's Boston Courant unless you're ready to blow your own brains out.

The complaint is that this project will ruin "a little jewel in the middle of the city."

Wait, they called the Garden Garage/Basketball City a little jewel?

Apparently, this tower will "threaten views, sunlight, and the character of the neighborhood". Wow! Read at your own risk.

http://www.boston.com/yourtown/news...nts_shoot_down.html?p1=HP_Well_YourTown_links

By Sara Brown, Town Correspondent

A $300 million plan to tear down the West End?s Garden Garage and replace it with two taller residential buildings and underground parking faces opposition from West Enders.

They argue that the buildings would add pedestrian and vehicle traffic to already crowded streets and threaten views, sunlight, and the character of the neighborhood.

At public meeting Monday night hosted by the Boston Redevelopment Authority, more than 80 people came to the auditorium at Shriners Hospital to hear representatives from Equity Residential and Elkus Manfredi architecture firm outline plans to replace the five-story, 650-spot parking garage on Lomasney Way with a development housing 500 rental units, open areas, retail space, and an underground parking lot.

The main part of the project would be two wedge-shaped towers, with the West Tower measuring 240 feet high, and the East Tower 310 feet tall. An eight-story retail space would adjoin the East Tower, and a below-ground, four-story parking garage would offer 850 parking spots.

According to Greg White, Equity?s vice president of development, the company would start construction on the project near the end of 2012, with construction expected to last three years.

Elkus Manfedi?s David Manfredi said that replacing the nearly 300,000 square foot garage with two towers separated by 75 feet to 80 feet of open space would ?re-energize the Nashua Street area? and connect the West End to North Station and the Bulfinch Triangle.

The West End has specific character, Manfredi said, and the development ?recognizes, respetcs, and reinforces the scale and character of the existing residential neighborhood.?

Manfredi said that the project would create about 20,000 square feet of new usable open space, including planting areas and walkways.

While nobody spoke in favor of keeping the Garden Garage as-is?Manfredi called it ?hardly an architectural treasure??residents did argue against existing plans, with concerns ranging from pedestrian and vehicular traffic to the noise of a three-year construction project.

Some asked about the fate of Basketball City, an indoor, air-conditioned sports facility that is housed in the Garden Garage.

But most frequently, residents spoke against the loss of sunlight and treasured views for nearby apartments.

Kelly Feeley said she stands to ?lose sunlight and any view of the city? from her eighth-floor apartment at 8 Whittier Place, adding that she has concerns about how this would affect her property value.

?I?m hoping that we can get it so we can build one small, shorter building,? Feeley said after the meeting, stressing the impact of not being able to see sun or sky from her windows.

With the loss of sunlight, ?All my plants will die,? she added.

?I?m not pretending that we?re not taking views away,? said Manfredi, adding that the towers? irregular, wedge-shaped design is intended to minimize the impact.

Compounding the issue, residents said, is another nearby development, the Nashua Street Residences. The 40-story building on Causeway Street and Nashua Street has been approved by the BRA, and could potentially block West End views.

City officials are ?totally ignoring our feelings and our concerns,? said Lynne Young, another Whittier Place resident. The current plan ?is worse than anything,? she added, prompting murmurs of agreement from other audience members.

After the meeting, Young said she has concerns about her view, as well as changes to light, wind, and density, including more traffic on the already-congested Martha Way. She said that she and her husband, Clifford, sometimes have trouble navigating the crowded streets.

The West End ?is an incredible place to live,? Young said. ?We don?t want it to be ruined.

In response to resident concerns, representatives from Equity and the BRA said the development process is just beginning, with more public meetings and time for comment to come.

The public comment period about the project has been extended to March 11, 2011. To comment about the project, residents can contact BRA Senior Project Manager Jay Rourke at jay.rourke.bra@cityofboston.gov.

*head explodes*

I'm convinced NIMBY's only want two things. They want to live really, really close to the city and they want to live in Wellesley.

Can't wait untill a judge finally logically rules that: views change deal with it. Also this argument of property value is weak in my opinion. Couldn't the develper argue that by NIMBY's trying to prevent him from building this complex they will be lowering his future property value. If they want to be that entirely self centered why can't he/she? And finally wouldn't replacing an ugly garage w/ something better increase over all value of a neighborhood?

The West End ?is an incredible place to live,? Young said. ?We don?t want it to be ruined.

A few decades late on that idea...

Part of the problem is a lack of ground rules for complaint.

Views: complaints about views changing should never be allowed on the record.
Shadows: should only be allowed on the record if shadows will adversely impact a public space during significant times when unobstructed sunlight would otherwise be an essential amenity.
Wind: should only be allowed on the record if new wind patterns can be proven as harmful or dangerous.
Increased vehicular traffic and Insufficient parking: should cancel each other out, not admissable into the record at the same time.
Increased pedestrian traffic: complainer should be forcibly relocated to Weston.
"My plants will die!" complainer should be forcibly relocated to the Amazon

In this case, aren't most "West Enders" renters?

Also, I wasn't aware that "Nashua Street Residences" was slated to be 40 stories... haven't heard too much about this for such a sizeable development.

NSR was slated to be 415ft tall but nothing as of yet has happened. As for Kelly Feeley and Lynne Young complaining because of loss of sunlight, traffic, etc, in the words of Cee-Lo Green "Fuck you and fuck her too."

Just read the article and couldn't wait to come over here to listen to the sounds of everyone's heads exploding. The "we don't want to ruin the character of the West End" line is the type of thing you read and can't believe you just read it, and can't even react because you can't imagine how another human being could come by such a viewpoint.

Nobody owes them a view. Unless the earth has shifted, this project is north of crp, shadows don't fall south. I also think the garage makes a nice barrier for them. With the garage gone it opens the neighborhood to every one station and the boston garden?

Last edited:

Nobody owes them a view. Unless the earth has shifted, this project is north of crp, shadows don't fall south. I also think the garage makes a nice barrier for them. With the garage gone it opens the neighborhood to every one station and the boston garden?

They don't want all the unwashed masses looking into and perhaps passing through their neighborhood. It's infuriating enough for these people to have to mix with the barbarians at the gates of the West End Whole Foods!

They're arguing against pedestrian traffic. Shits funny

I wish I was surprised by that, but increased pedestrian traffic is a fairly common thing for NIMBY's to complain about.

It's too crowded?

AM I correct in assuming that more people lived there 60 years ago?

"Add vehicle traffic..." WHAT? There's a freaking PARKING GARAGE there drawing vehicle traffic through the neighborhood as it is now.

and then arguing against pedestrians? "Ruined" by luxury condos? This is absurd. I feel so sorry for Elkus Manfredi having to address such foolish issues raised by the public instead of hosting substantial architectural discussion.

It's called the "litter box" argument: your pile of shit ruins the character of my pile of shit.

Back