The Alcott (née Garden Garage Towers) | 35 Lomasney Way | West End

Welp here comes the glass crown, its gonna make or break it. Doesnt look too pretty now, but lets see how the glass top pulls it all together. It will definitely look better, how much we have to see.

Saw this for first time in a few months. Looks good from inside the west end: a nice presence. Sometimes, height encloses a space that’s otherwise too open and makes it feel cozier. Such is the case here.

Is is really kind of a good looking building for what it is. Will be eager to see the finished product. Let’s hope the landscaping is as nice as promised.
EF7E3385-BB12-469E-9DFA-6FD869F64B9B.jpeg
4E251A98-7762-4656-8F47-50E5EAAA5B36.jpeg

Someday soon, I hope residents of the West End look at this and ask why there's a bunch of 50's style motel architecture nearby when they could have beautiful towers like these.

As a former resident of both Beacon Hill and the West End, I've been asking this question since about 1999, when I first was able to take stock of the contrast between those neighborhoods. For many folks the price/amenities were probably worth it. Despite the Soviet theme park feel, it is a little oasis in the city, and many of the residents seem like they've been there a long time and would be priced out by anything newer and nicer.

Personally, I lived in a renovated apt in the Longfellow Towers. While the buildings themselves weren't the most attractive on the outside, the apartments were pretty nice and the unobstructed views from my Southwest corner were virtually unparalleled in the city.

As a former resident of both Beacon Hill and the West End, I've been asking this question since about 1999, when I first was able to take stock of the contrast between those neighborhoods. For many folks the price/amenities were probably worth it. Despite the Soviet theme park feel, it is a little oasis in the city, and many of the residents seem like they've been there a long time and would be priced out by anything newer and nicer.

Personally, I lived in a renovated apt in the Longfellow Towers. While the buildings themselves weren't the most attractive on the outside, the apartments were pretty nice and the unobstructed views from my Southwest corner were virtually unparalleled in the city.
I think there's a lot about the West End that's not bad. If the overly small buildings were replaced with towers (like Longfellow and Alcott) and there was more street activation, it would be a lovely neighborhood form to include in the City.

The West End has an almost Singapore / Taipei / HK New Territories town feel. Not on the same scale, but in built form and function. I worked with a guy from Taiwan who lived in the West End for almost 20 years, and he felt the same way: "reminds me a bit of Taipei."

Not to derail too much but ive looked at some of those older west end tower units and they feel really dated... Im not sure what will become of those buildings in the long term but they really feel out of touch with modern condo construction.

Not to derail too much but ive looked at some of those older west end tower units and they feel really dated... Im not sure what will become of those buildings in the long term but they really feel out of touch with modern condo construction.
The buildings are are awful. Residents pay huge condo fees and mega assessments just to keep them going. The only thing that could improve them is a wrecking ball.

Back