The archBoston Meetup Thread

393b40

Reaction score
Hello!

We had a fantastic meetup at the end of October in 2014 and there was a desire to make the meetups a little bit more regular and frequent than every couple of years, therefore, I am starting the quasi-official aB meetup thread where we can propose times to grab a beer and talk architecture, urban planning, transportation, or whatever else is on our mind. These are low key events and are not sanctioned by the aB staff in any way shape or form. We usually crowd a corner of a bar and have some beers while chatting among ourselves.

Anyways, how do people feel about a meetup sometime in late March or early April? No venue ideas yet, but possible contenders are Stoddard's, Intermission Tavern, The Tam, J.J. Foley's, Mead Hall or The Friendly Toast (because breakfast food at 5pm is amazing).

Discuss!

Cheers,
Meddle

I always like the idea of these but then it gets close to the actual day and I get nervous because - might not seem obvious - I'm shy. Maybe I just need to get cocked beforehand.

But this time, I'd commit to making an appearance. Downtown Crossing would work for me, but I can easily travel anywhere. We did it in Cambridge, (at least) once, right? If that works logistically for more people, I'd do it but near Park Street seems very central.

Should we pick a place that's "historic" and perhaps not so popular anymore, to give it some business and to lament the passage of time? How little is the Little Bar, and would it be a good time to meet and give it a send-off since it will be closing if things go forward? JJ Foley's would be great since they have the second room and at times it's empty in there, right? I love The Tam & Intermission Tavern but they get busy at certain times, no?

I always like the idea of these but then it gets close to the actual day and I get nervous because - might not seem obvious - I'm shy. Maybe I just need to get cocked beforehand.

I would not get shitfaced beforehand unless you want to be that guy.

But this time, I'd commit to making an appearance. Downtown Crossing would work for me, but I can easily travel anywhere. We did it in Cambridge, (at least) once, right? If that works logistically for more people, I'd do it but near Park Street seems very central.

I agree, I think DTX/Theater District/Chinatown is probably the best area since it is centrally located for transit.

Should we pick a place that's "historic" and perhaps not so popular anymore, to give it some business and to lament the passage of time?

Sure, as long as it's not Marliave because that place is way past it's prime. I was there recently and I was very disappointed.

How little is the Little Bar, and would it be a good time to meet and give it a send-off since it will be closing if things go forward?

We would be about a decade late considering the real Littlest Bar is long gone and the one slated for demolition is its newer cousin. But beer is beer.

Baracuda Tavern or Jacob Wirth's could be other interesting options. Who doesn't love beer and fried sauerkraut balls?

I'm always game for these meetups. For me personally after work during the work week works best, compared to a Friday or Saturday night. Also places tend to be not standing room only as they can be on weekends

I'm always game for these meetups. For me personally after work during the work week works best, compared to a Friday or Saturday night. Also places tend to be not standing room only as they can be on weekends

Very much agree.

Let's put May on the board for something. I am thinking mid to late May on a Wednesday or Thursday after work... how do people feel about that idea?

Wednesday would be good, before I go into work (11pm). Thursday also works... no work!

Hope to make it to this one. Been a long time since my first and only archBoston meetup.

I'd definitely enjoy throwing back a few with you guys in person.

Works for me! Name a date, meddlepal, and I'll plan around it.

I'll be here until the 17th, then gone for a few weeks. Definitely in if I'm here though.

keep me in the loop. Would love to come Back into the city for a cold one (or two) lol

How do people feel about the 20th or 21st of May? Location TBD, but expect somewhere in or near DTX.

I'll be in Quito by then... but I'll send you all nice photos of their trolleybuses ;)

Either would be fine; I have a preference towards the 21st.

Back