The Armature | 52 Hanover St | Portland

You don't really realize until you get down there just how massive this development is...

891569C1-81F5-41F4-B109-5521AF66C1F6_1_201_a.jpeg

FF6DB91C-2A88-44B8-B2B7-4C80BBDD04A6.jpeg

I can hardly wait until the pool is ready to see what the scene is like. I'm guessing a few USM students will rent here. I also think that they are all going to ditch the Gorham campus. Can you blame them (they will change their majors, whatever it takes)?

It does really stand out when coming in Forest Ave./Preble St., though.
And they haven't even started on the 5-story front. I'll bet an aerial of this in a few months will be quite impressive. And when it's done, I don't think that there is anything in Maine close to this type of building with its scale and pool amenity. Perhaps the new hotel, pool, and condo block in the center of Bar Harbor--but that's it. The surrounding bar and restaurant offerings could make this area the place to hang when it's done, attracting more development. I think with the USM upgrade next year some students will choose to live here. If I were the developer, I would feature solar on the roof and heat the cement patio surrounding the pool, and the pool (six hours uncovered, 18 hours covered to save on the energy bill). People use outdoor hot tubs at ski resorts, so why not here too? Pictures of students walking around in bikinis and Speedos in the winter would generate tons of free publicity (duh), thus increasing the demand and resulting higher rents to live here. I know it's not very Maine-like, this type of outdoor fun idea in the winter, but it's time to change. Change is good.

38CACA24-BC81-4013-AAF7-18416790F6EF.jpeg
89C1F782-42F5-4997-AD93-BB02301585AF.jpeg

A couple shots of the Hanover project. Already so far along in what feels like such a short time!
Top photo is from Portland St. Looking at the imposing structure.
Second shot is on Hanover St.

I drive down Kennebec St fairly often and always look up Parris and Hanover to see progress on this building. Since the steel has gone in and I look up Hanover, I've been confused, I've thought they screwed up the construction. It looks like the steel isn't straight. I assumed it was supposed to be straight down Hanover, but it isn't! There's a slight articulation of the mid height and low height portions. I didn't notice this on the renderings (which is what I had always looked at), but is clearly on the plans. Consider this a PSA - I hope this helps anyone else who has been quietly stressing about this part of the building and not known why!

76reytwsdfghyuiytf.png

oi7yutghweqoiufyh.png

Last edited:
Isn't there going to be a pool in the courtyard or did they abandon the idea due to cost? If there is to be a pool, would it not be dug down to the garage level floor?

Isn't there going to be a pool in the courtyard or did they abandon the idea due to cost? If there is to be a pool, would it not be dug down to the garage level floor?

52 HANOVER.jpg

The "pool" deck on the third level. The pool is built on top of the garage. It will not be much more than a wading pool. I'm guessing 12-14 inches deep?? Picture is taken from the deck.

14 inches deep? Ha. You've got this cool new development and the Kaplan Thompson designed condos across. Next door is old garbage housing stock. The little two story one, knock it down, and build something fitting. Did you know that two new modern homes in Portland, simple in construction, perhaps no more than 300K to 400K to build, are on the spec market now for 1.6 and 1.7 million? Check the little single family one just finished abutting Luminato condos. It's on the market now. That's where you can make big money. It's more than a one-million dollar profit if one owns the land. Many people in Portland do, own land, with a tiny old house on a lot not worth renovating. Portland and Maine has no housing stock available with modern single family high-tech homes. None. Several have been built on Peaks Island, in the back part. These aren't Mainers buying these homes, and they have MONEY.

I don't know the second one you refer to, but that one on Hampshire Street is insane. (And the fact that it's literally around the corner from where my brother's first apt. was in 1990 or so is even crazier.)

I don't know the second one you refer to, but that one on Hampshire Street is insane. (And the fact that it's literally around the corner from where my brother's first apt. was in 1990 or so is even crazier.)

$1.7 million is what will be asked.
https://homes.pressherald.com/listings/5-Salem-Street-Portland-ME-04102-MLS-1543181/56439154

Prices are only going to go up. This lot with an even better modern high-tech home could approach $3 million. An older turn of the century restored home close by is going for $3 million. That's an energy inefficient home with ancient interior design. There's little feel good in that with today's younger wealthy buyers.

Last edited:

Back