The Beverly (née Merano) (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

Re: The Merano

This building suits me just fine. I don't care for pre-cast and those gimicky cornices, but the Bullfinch Triangle is a collection of work-a-day, ordinary buildings that work together as a whole. This snoozer fits right in. Look at the things they got right: no set back, appropriate height, ground floor retail, non-luxury. If the right shops go in at street level, you won't notice the dreck above them.

Wait isn't this building being built in 5 other locations in Boston?

hahaha....

good eye! it is.

having said that, i do agree with chumb....

LANDSCRAPER= BLECH...

1. Next to the Garden
2. Fenway
3. Fenway AGAIN

Make it go away- so nasty. It's like the developers aren't even trying...

Though, NIMBYs prolly should get some of the blame since their whining has caused developers to churn out this crap.

I will add this addendum though- pluses are: non-luxury and ground floor retail- esp. al fresco dining.

But still- it's like a condo version of a McMansion....

...and wait, isn't that brick rowhouse being built at 500 other locations on Beacon Hill?

Just because something isn't new and creative (ugly) doesn't mean it's a bad building.

A point well taken. If it's generic and good then it doesn't matter how often it's repeated....But, ONE is enough of these!

...and wait, isn't that brick rowhouse being built at 500 other locations on Beacon Hill?

Just because something isn't new and creative (ugly) doesn't mean it's a bad building.

Decent point- but I think you need to note that many of these neighborhoods where these landscrapers are going up already have a specific character or are attempting to develop it. The question rises- is this the bar you want to set? I'm no fan of gas stations and fast food joints on Boyleston in Fenway- in fact I abhor them and can't wait for them to be gone. However- the new buildings- do they fit in with the other older buildings in the residential section of the neighborhood?

I actually think that in Fenway- they work to a degree. BUT- design-wise, original renderings showed hanging gardens and possible effect lighting w/ LEDs at the top of the of the building or something. You can build a building generically, but it doesn't have to stay that way.

However- proposed and the Garden versions? No way- there is a great preexisiting architectural flavor in that neighborhood that should be somewhat followed. Can I get some support on that on?

For as much as I dislike neighborhood groups slowing the progress of development in this city- the other side of the sword is that they should be forcing these developers to make important artistic/ aesthetic nudges to improve the quality of the building to a degree...

I am a firm believers that vegetation, proper use of facade and LEDs can do amazing things when put together well and make lasting design that will not go out of style.

It's one thing when the area being developed is a small parcel being filled in with a rowhouse...it's another thing when they build an uninspiring landscraper on a megablock in an "emerging neighborhood". I'm not saying we need prize winning architecture for every new building we see, but I'd like it if developers would dare to be different.

That said, I don't think this is that bad. Of the run-of-the-mill developments in Boston, I favor these types over the 100% precast pieces of junk being put up around the city.

Maybe all these projects(if they do well) will get the North Station tower built!

I wonder if these buildings are being built with the possibility of adding more floors (towers) ontop later on, for a future better market or something? If we can add on floors to older buildings without necessarily ripping all of the guts out, I'm pretty sure new developements might design for this, or at least make it not so hard to accomplish for future generations down the road.

This project hasn't had an update in a while. I found some new renderings. It's just more of our ongoing CBT nightmare.

106merano01.jpg

106parcel1b02.jpg

106parcel1b01.jpg

106parcel1b03.jpg

Eh, it could be way worse. Kinda confused about which is the design though - the first two perspectives look the same, but there are different facades?

And what is with the blank wall at the right of the last render?

The first rendering is the most recent and the version that will be built. The blank wall is not part of the project's plot, so I would think it has nothing to do with it.

I agree with czsz: CBT has done waaaaay worse. If the bricks look half as texture-licious as they do in the renderings then it should be ok. And the two narrower sides (the ones we'll be able to see from far off even after the area is built out) actually look rather nice.

Oh, OK, good. The 1st and 4th I'm OK with, it's the 2nd and 3rd that got me down. In fact, I had criticized the "Gateway Center" design saying why not just do an urban streetwall instead of an office building. Something like this:

street2.jpg

The 1st and 4th seem to be doing something similar.

Eh, it could be way worse. Kinda confused about which is the design though - the first two perspectives look the same, but there are different facades?

And what is with the blank wall at the right of the last render?

Why does everyone expect higher standards out of the proclaimed barren wasteland that is the Seaport but settles for "it could be way worse" on one of the most prime real estate blocks in Boston, if not all of New England?

I'm confused. The 2nd & 3rd rendering seems to show everything at 8 stories. The first shows 12 or 13. Did they get an approval to go taller?

I actually like it alot (1 & 4 that is). 2&3 can burn in Houston/Epcot/whatever we are comparing boston too now.

Back