The Beverly (née Merano) (Parcels 1B & 1C) | Bulfinch Triangle | West End

Re: The Merano

According to the BRA's 'Boston is Booming' PowerPoint deck, this should start constuction this year. Along with One Canal and Nashua Street.

http://www.bostonredevelopmentauthority.org/pdf/documents/Boston is Booming.pdf

Interesting presentation seems to have been produced in 2012 and post dated

Some observations:
1) No mention of several recently approved or re-proposed towers:
a) the Christian Science Plaza Towers
b) TD Garden extensions and old Gahden Towers
c) Congress St. Garage Towers
2) No mention of expansion of BCEC
3) Limited mention of the Innovation District:
a) Fan Pier beyond Vertex
b) Seaport Square
c) Pier 4
4) minimal mention of Ink Block and South End UMASS Boston?
5) What does this mean? :
Minorities make up 53% of Boston’s population
That by definition makes everyone a minority including:
"No Irish Need apply" and Da Godda's own pisanos, and the rest

XFW9LHX.jpg

that wall has been sitting there since october. what is this project waiting on?

^^^I can't believe I still haven't seen any news about leasing.

The great brick pile of Merano:

13730829723_d290a71305_b.jpg

13731190664_7a681a42e7_b.jpg

13731186884_ffa4ceb1e8_b.jpg

I'm starting to think this one might not get off the ground.

Totally out of scale with the neighborhood. Not enough parking. Attracts the wrong element. Violates FAA regulations.

Why? They were using the site for staging on the Victor. Who's the developer?

Boston Development Group is the developer. They've made three start date postponements on their Website. First was Fall 2012, second was Summer 2013, now it says Spring 2014. We're in spring and still no signs of movement.

1. There has been absolute radio silence on this project. Virtually no mentions in articles about development downtown and no word on any contractors being hired to construct.
2. No word on financing, either in the trade press or registry of deeds.
3. There has been no sign of any of the land deals needed to build this on a turnpike parcel. On both the Victor and One Canal, there were several leases, licenses, and ground use agreements filed on the properties roughly a month to two months before construction starting. No sign of any of this thus far.

Plus, we have a crap-load of new apartments coming on line in the next 12 to 18 months. This fact, plus the hotel component - which is always tricky to finance - probably has banks skittish and unfortunately, it looks like the Merano was the last to the party among the nearby developments.

I would be very happy to come back here in a few weeks and say I'm wrong. My gut just tells me that we are going to look at this empty parcel for a few more years.

Chain link fence going up around that parcel today

No, I'm pretty sure it's that you have magic powers. Could you maybe post about a few other stalled projects?!

No, I'm pretty sure it's that you have magic powers. Could you maybe post about a few other stalled projects?!

Maybe he comment on Copley Tower.

LOL! If only that's all it takes...

It's been years since we've seen any movement with Columbus Center. Will that thing ever go up?

Where's the federal financing for the Urban Ring?

Will MassDOT ever approve davem's I-90 Allston reallignment proposal? Come on!

Maybe he comment on Copley Tower.

Well they weren't supposed to start until early 2015 anyway, so I just don't think I could work up the passion right now....but if there's nothing by May 2015, I'm on it!

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but it's possible they're putting up the fence in anticipation of the Bruins playoff run. When they won the cup a few years ago, I was celebrating in the area of the future Merano.

Back